1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Vetech63, Nov 15, 2021.

1. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Some days ken, others the giraffe. Either way I'm screwed. Ken got no pee-pee

aighead, DMiller, JPV and 4 others like this.
  2. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Jesus Christ. The “cheapest thing” is checking coolant level and quality, belt tension, and checking and cleaning the radiator cores.

anybody that can hold a wrench SHOULD know that. It’s the most basic things possible and truly should be the responsibility of the operator.

3. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

To reiterate what TS said my dad always told me to never hire a fat mechanic. That has served me well over the years.

4. BigWrench55

BigWrench55 Senior Member

I used to be a fat boy but that didn't stop me from doing my job. It did bolster my laziness and I always attributed my laziness to the reason I became a good troubleshooter.

muddog1975, aighead, skyking1 and 7 others like this.
  5. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    I resemble that. I ain't huge, but I'm portly for such a sawed off runt. As Paul stated, fat boys make good troubleshooters. The less wrench bending I gotta do, the better. A good visual inspection will tell so much. How was it cared for, is the radiator cap rusted in place, can it breath etc etc. ? I mean Vetech showed the best visual aid ever. Check the radiator? The fan? Duh, the other guy did:rolleyes:

6. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Huh?

7. Thirty5D

Thirty5D Active Member

My insta won't get likes if it's all dirty stuff. And besides, dirty triggers really really uncomfortable, like you know, everything.

But . . . throwing down boasts with the homies, a "Turbo Job" stokes cred.

(Edit for clarity: replace "very" with "really really")

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    DMiller, Vetech63 and funwithfuel like this.
  8. Thirty5D

Thirty5D Active Member

Remember the lady that could translate "Jive."

nowing75, spitzair, Aarons81 and 2 others like this.
  9. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    That's Mrs Cleever from leave it to beaver
    Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help :D

10. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Vetech... along with the photos of what you're finding... place before the CEO a tally of parts changed with prices and machine hours down. Estimate or actual dollars for a rental machine to take its place. THEN... put your hours to repair said machine.... Ask him to do the math... shouldn't be too hard for him. Tell him your new and increased hourly rate. :p Bet he accepts ...;)

11. BigWrench55

One would think that it would be that easy.
    But people tend to double down on stupidity rather than use logic or reasoning.
    As once I was told by a very smart woman.
    Common sense isn’t that common.

12. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I guess I'm wondering about the experience and qualifications of the incompetents? I expect the person who hired them to be too stupid to actually have checked out their credentials and they surely wouldn't have a clue about what questions to ask that would indicate intelligence.

muddog1975, 56wrench, mg2361 and 4 others like this.
  13. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Resumé ? You mean creative writing? Same class, right? How's that saying go, "fake it till ya make it" And yes, I don't believe for a second todays managers and HR representatives ever call previous employers. If they did, none of us would get hired.

mg2361, DMiller, Truck Shop and 2 others like this.
  14. BigWrench55

I don’t know about other states, but here in Texas the previous employer can only verify that you worked there and if they would hire you back.
    But he’ll yes indeed you fake it until you made it. That served me well. :D

15. suladas

suladas Senior Member

How could someone be so stupid to not check if a rad/fan is blocked if an engine starts overheating? I would expect an operator to be smart enough to check that before making a call that a machine has an issue.

A few weeks ago my 5500 starting running really cool, common sense right off the start is check the thermostat, and yep it's shot.

Sure engines have got tons of BS on them between emissions and electronics now, but many things are just as basic as they were 20+ years ago.

16. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    OMG this thread has taken on a life of its own.......!!
    When are you going to show it to the boss @ the customer.? :D:D

17. BigWrench55

In defense of NFG, and HNC. it’s hard to see if the radiator is blocked with all that dirt covering it. :D

18. suladas

suladas Senior Member

That is true. And look at the brightside, if something were to hit the rad the dirt would be a layer of protection.

19. suladas

suladas Senior Member

This thread reminds me of the one time I took equipment to the dealership for repair, back when I was just started out my mini hoe wouldn't start. After weeks of "troubleshooting" they said they were pretty sure it was the $2500 main wiring harness that was the issue because they tried the cheaper options first (machine also had some weird electrical gremlins that this fixed). They were surprised when I said, order it but only if you are 100% sure it's the problem. They did fix it mostly, but honestly no idea if I paid for that part for nothing but they would never have admitted if it wasn't the problem, because I wouldn't have paid for the part. They had no idea what they were doing and I know that $5000 bill would have been way less if a competent mechanic fixed it.

funwithfuel and DMiller like this.
  20. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I spent the first half of the day steam cleaning this mess on the 700. I took the entire fan/grill assembly apart and wash each piece one by one. Then I moved to the nasty ass radiator and spent another 1.5 hours there. Every bit of filth you saw on those parts was on me by the time I was done, but it all looks much better. I will start reassembling the fan/grill assembly with a new motor and hoses in the morning and hopefully have it back in the dozer with everything hooked up and ready to run by the afternoon.

I attempted to figure out another electrical problem and needed to ask Cat tech support a couple of questions about their schematic. I call them at 8:30 this morning and never got a call back. ..........so that will be posted in the roller section shortly for you Cat experts!;)

I knew the first week this customer was in trouble with HNC when they hired him. He is the one that did that bypass starter wiring on that Bomag in this thread. I told him not to fix that like he did but I was ignored. At the time, he was supposed to be the savior and I was getting pushed out a bit because "I'm too expensive." LOL:Do_O Looks like I'm the one that's laughing now huh. HNC supposedly had 7 years of experience with the biggest construction contractor in this state, but I know for fact no references were checked. What was on his application was considered GOLD and the rest is history. NFG I bet wasn't checked out either. The 2nd week HNC was employed he went to a jobsite 2 hours away to replace a starter motor on a 416D. He left with it still not starting because he didn't know where the starter wiring hooked up........and he took the dam thing off. There are numerous stories about HNC.......too many to type out. I don't know why this guy is bulletproof but he is dodging them better than Superman.