• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
In closing this morning's episode of "WTF!!!" LOL.............I decided to capture my thoughts in a pic. I used 2 of my grand daughters toys here to simulate what is happening with this customer and many others in this industry.View attachment 248806
.......this seems to be what happens most of the time. That FWF guy always gets me in trouble when he starts gif'n;)

Are you Ken? or are you the Giraffe?
Some days ken, others the giraffe. Either way I'm screwed. Ken got no pee-pee

JD955SC

So I call HNC and tell him I have found a big problem. I ask him about checking the radiator core.........he replies that NFG did that :(...so he evidently thinks I am stupid and doesn't recall telling me he had checked it also.
I asked where they got the idea that changing the EGR cooler may be the problem. He replied that the dealer (whoever he is talking to there trying to troubleshoot this over the phone) had told him these exact words........."Whenever we get an overheating problem on a machine, we always start with the CHEAPEST things first". OMG.....are you kidding me? YOUR A DEALER AND YOU ARE PARTS CHANGING!!!!
View attachment 248804
View attachment 248805
This is why this industry of ours has suffered. You have bodies/drones that just do what they are told.......with no troubleshooting skills at all. There are so many things that cause overheating problems, yet a dealer field tech (supposedly one of their best) doesn't have the thought process to try and figure out what the actual problem might be? Does he really give a **** about the customer that feeds his family? People, this is just going to get worse...........so hang on to your wallets!:rolleyes:o_O.

Jesus Christ. The “cheapest thing” is checking coolant level and quality, belt tension, and checking and cleaning the radiator cores.

anybody that can hold a wrench SHOULD know that. It’s the most basic things possible and truly should be the responsibility of the operator.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
To reiterate what TS said my dad always told me to never hire a fat mechanic. That has served me well over the years.
I resemble that. I ain't huge, but I'm portly for such a sawed off runt. As Paul stated, fat boys make good troubleshooters. The less wrench bending I gotta do, the better. A good visual inspection will tell so much. How was it cared for, is the radiator cap rusted in place, can it breath etc etc. ? I mean Vetech showed the best visual aid ever. Check the radiator? The fan? Duh, the other guy did:rolleyes:

hosspuller

Vetech... along with the photos of what you're finding... place before the CEO a tally of parts changed with prices and machine hours down. Estimate or actual dollars for a rental machine to take its place. THEN... put your hours to repair said machine.... Ask him to do the math... shouldn't be too hard for him. Tell him your new and increased hourly rate. :p Bet he accepts ...;)

BigWrench55

Vetech... along with the photos of what you're finding... place before the CEO a tally of parts changed with prices and machine hours down. Estimate or actual dollars for a rental machine to take its place. THEN... put your hours to repair said machine.... Ask him to do the math... shouldn't be too hard for him. Tell him your new and increased hourly rate. :p Bet he accepts ...;)

One would think that it would be that easy.
But people tend to double down on stupidity rather than use logic or reasoning.
As once I was told by a very smart woman.
Common sense isn’t that common.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I guess I'm wondering about the experience and qualifications of the incompetents? I expect the person who hired them to be too stupid to actually have checked out their credentials and they surely wouldn't have a clue about what questions to ask that would indicate intelligence.

suladas

How could someone be so stupid to not check if a rad/fan is blocked if an engine starts overheating? I would expect an operator to be smart enough to check that before making a call that a machine has an issue.

A few weeks ago my 5500 starting running really cool, common sense right off the start is check the thermostat, and yep it's shot.

Sure engines have got tons of BS on them between emissions and electronics now, but many things are just as basic as they were 20+ years ago.

BigWrench55

How could someone be so stupid to not check if a rad/fan is blocked if an engine starts overheating? I would expect an operator to be smart enough to check that before making a call that a machine has an issue.

A few weeks ago my 5500 starting running really cool, common sense right off the start is check the thermostat, and yep it's shot.

Sure engines have got tons of BS on them between emissions and electronics now, but many things are just as basic as they were 20+ years ago.

In defense of NFG, and HNC. it’s hard to see if the radiator is blocked with all that dirt covering it. :D

suladas

This thread reminds me of the one time I took equipment to the dealership for repair, back when I was just started out my mini hoe wouldn't start. After weeks of "troubleshooting" they said they were pretty sure it was the $2500 main wiring harness that was the issue because they tried the cheaper options first (machine also had some weird electrical gremlins that this fixed). They were surprised when I said, order it but only if you are 100% sure it's the problem. They did fix it mostly, but honestly no idea if I paid for that part for nothing but they would never have admitted if it wasn't the problem, because I wouldn't have paid for the part. They had no idea what they were doing and I know that $5000 bill would have been way less if a competent mechanic fixed it.

Vetech63

I spent the first half of the day steam cleaning this mess on the 700. I took the entire fan/grill assembly apart and wash each piece one by one. Then I moved to the nasty ass radiator and spent another 1.5 hours there. Every bit of filth you saw on those parts was on me by the time I was done, but it all looks much better. I will start reassembling the fan/grill assembly with a new motor and hoses in the morning and hopefully have it back in the dozer with everything hooked up and ready to run by the afternoon.

I attempted to figure out another electrical problem and needed to ask Cat tech support a couple of questions about their schematic. I call them at 8:30 this morning and never got a call back. ..........so that will be posted in the roller section shortly for you Cat experts!;)

I knew the first week this customer was in trouble with HNC when they hired him. He is the one that did that bypass starter wiring on that Bomag in this thread. I told him not to fix that like he did but I was ignored. At the time, he was supposed to be the savior and I was getting pushed out a bit because "I'm too expensive." LOL:Do_O Looks like I'm the one that's laughing now huh. HNC supposedly had 7 years of experience with the biggest construction contractor in this state, but I know for fact no references were checked. What was on his application was considered GOLD and the rest is history. NFG I bet wasn't checked out either. The 2nd week HNC was employed he went to a jobsite 2 hours away to replace a starter motor on a 416D. He left with it still not starting because he didn't know where the starter wiring hooked up........and he took the dam thing off. There are numerous stories about HNC.......too many to type out. I don't know why this guy is bulletproof but he is dodging them better than Superman.