• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
JCB does the same parts availability with me. Vague time frame or 30% more for quick. On seal kits no biggie. On that. Ouch. There’s a place in KS that Crossland uses a lot for rods. Maybe they can hook you up? I assume Mac’s is 30 days? They told me two weeks to get to one of ours and they have the barrel and rod on the shelf for it.

terex herder

You could try Kanamak Hydraulic in Garden City, KS, 620-275-6055 for a custom made replacement. I'm guessing metric rod, which makes it more difficult. They have good inventory of raw material to make repair parts, and can do design and build of custom hydraulic parts and systems.

Vetech63

Everyone that I've checked with has too much work stacked up and not enough workers...........what a shock;)o_O.
I'm guessing metric rod, which makes it more difficult.
COMPLETELY METRIC........another shocker:confused:;)
There’s a place in KS that Crossland uses a lot for rods.
Can you get a name........I'll definitely try them.
Try DHL, they'll have it to you in 2 or 3 days max. Unless they can't find Oklahoma.
Sometimes, I can't find Oklahoma:D I'll check into that and see if it's possible through the dealer.
I don't know the application, but I often rework similar failures by drilling and tapping the end of the rod and inserting a stud.
If only I had that kind of time. I'de have to make a piston too.

Zewnten

Not related to this customer but I started work on a JCB 930 yesterday. Got the steer cylinder pulled out of the barrel no problem.
View attachment 264628
Went to take the piston off after removing the lock pin.........BIG PROBLEM
View attachment 264629
Only ones I can find is 8 of these in England. JCB dealer said 8-10 weeks on the slow boat.................but for an additional 30% I can have it in less than 2 weeks. FML:rolleyes:o_O:eek::confused::mad::(

Have an ATD down because the washer button broke and it's only availibility is Russia so yeah we'll never see it. Supposedly Cat will pull one off the assembly line to ship to us but it hasn't happened so far, nor have we had a time frame update. JD actually pulled a orbital valve off the assembly line and shipped it out in under 30 days.

colson04

Could more threads be cut on the rod, if it is long enough to still be useable?

Still have to wait for availability at a machine shop. The local shops I know here are backed up with all manner of work and a lack of employees to complete it.

The machine shop I worked at 18 years ago used to run (2) 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week with a line of guys outside wanting a job there. Today, they are a bigger shop, with nicer equipment, air conditioning, and struggling to find help to fill one shift. I talked with my friend and he said no one will even show up to the interview after filling out the application.

Vetech63

Still have to wait for availability at a machine shop. The local shops I know here are backed up with all manner of work and a lack of employees to complete it.

The machine shop I worked at 18 years ago used to run (2) 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week with a line of guys outside wanting a job there. Today, they are a bigger shop, with nicer equipment, air conditioning, and struggling to find help to fill one shift. I talked with my friend and he said no one will even show up to the interview after filling out the application.
Precisely

colson04

So where are all those people? And it's the same at McDonalds?

Are they all home sniffing glue? Died?

Joe H

I haven't a clue. Unless they're like me and flying solo these days. I got laid off in 2020 and have been self employed, and busy as heck, ever since. It doesn't even matter what I dabble in, there is such a demand for so much that anyone can do anything and make pretty good money.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Good Question?

I haven't found any information that breaks down the number of people available to work compared to the number of jobs available to hire them. I hear lots of talk but no reliable information that would allow analysis of the problem or possible solutions.

hosspuller

What evidence do you have to make a statement like that?

Everybody eats, needs clothes, med care, & shelter. Even the homeless are supported in some way. Not everybody is self supporting so logic says the self supporting people are taxed (in some way) to provide for the former mentioned. There aren't enough basements for grown children to live in. :p

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer