1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Vetech63, Nov 15, 2021.

1. BigWrench55

BigWrench55 Senior Member

I like to work in a clean space and I like it even more when everything has a place and when everything is in its place. I constantly clean my work space throughout the day. When I am tired and hot. I take a break and pick up a broom. Organize removed parts, clean spills and remove trash. I work better in a clean and organized environment and it's also better for my mental health.

mg2361, John Shipp, Nige and 2 others like this.
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    At my last Commercial mechanic position when started with Union Electric was at the shop during a Emergency Call in to Stand By as line crews worked storm damage. Had to remain available to make quick repairs and was on the clock at Double Time, so cleaned most of the morning, Windows, Doors with big slime smears, floors even got washed, emptied the paint booth we had and replaced filters, was about done cleaning office equipment when the guys finished up, boss said done for night and could go home.
    Next day Superintendent was just beside himself as to the shop being so clean, was patting day Mechanic on the back when he noted I had done it as far as he knew. Got a Cash Bonus later in the week by Company Mail out of Petty Cash!!! AND Paid Double Time to boot for 6.6 hours!

3. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Nice to be appreciated. A lot of guys would just sit around in the lunch room playing cards or something.

4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    I am similar to vetech, there is no sitting still, can play cards if someone is around and on break but just better to be at or doing something constructive on the clock. Super saw that in me as I started, need no coaching to find something to do and get it done. Dirt and collecting trash DRIVES ME NUTS!!!

MarshallPowerGen and BigWrench55 like this.
  5. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

It’s actually relaxing for me to take my time and clean thoroughly at work, especially when I have the time to pull out all my tools and clean and reorganize them.

Last time I went to get tires put on my truck the state of the tire shop’s building about drove me nuts holy crap big mess doesn’t even describe it

DMiller, John Shipp and BigWrench55 like this.
  6. Gradechecker

Gradechecker Member

Where do I start ?! This thread has been an interesting read to say the least! Not sure how you have such patience but that must come with wrenching I know if I had to deal with the stupidity of half the crap I’ve read I would of probably hit the loonie bin. I’ve never read 30+ pages of one thread before but to know the story was worth it. Hopefully you get to retire and never worry about another paver or dozer again lol!

DMiller, oarwhat and Vetech63 like this.
  7. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I've been doing other customer work the last bunch of days.
    Vandal1.jpg
    Someone tried stealing this battery out of this mini ex over the weekend. I guess it just got too difficult LOL A quick fix in this case but enough to aggravate a normal person.

mg2361, muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  8. Welder Dave

Strange battery connections probably confused the thieves.

Vetech63, muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  9. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

Scum bag drug douches.

Vetech63, muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  10. Welder Dave

I agree! Who else would come up with those stupid battery connections.

oakblaster, JPV, Gradechecker and 3 others like this.
  11. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

My 2008 Nissan Pathfinder used those same hookups.

Vetech63 and DMiller like this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Hate to say, even the 2010 Impala I have is like that.

Vetech63 likes this.
  13. BigWrench55

BigWrench55 Senior Member

This country is going down the toilet when the thieves are to lazy to steal.

14. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

They have to justify hiring engineers somehow. How many types of electrical connectors are there? Never had a problem with the good Ole weatherpak. Why do they have to keep reinventing the wheel.

oarwhat, Vetech63 and DMiller like this.
  15. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

Because the patent protections ran out on the wheel.

Vetech63, DMiller and muddog1975 like this.
  16. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Product designers have to justify their existance.....same as software people.

Ed

oarwhat, Vetech63 and DMiller like this.
  17. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

They still haven't decided on whether to get rid of this old water truck or not. I was asked if I could get it up and running. I'm thinking about telling them it's going to cost $20K. My luck they will go for it:eek::rolleyes:o_O

18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Quote $30K, no need being Kind!!

19. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

Tell them the best value is to put it on Big Iron or Purple Wave auction site as not running.

hvy 1ton, Vetech63 and DMiller like this.
  20. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Ah! a nice truck for you to work on.

Vetech63, BigWrench55 and DMiller like this.