• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer

Vetech63

Paving equipment has been constant. I'm just now getting on the backside of it for the moment. :confused: Not anything to report on the dirt side of the company.............I haven't had the time to screw with any of their crap.
I do have something that should go in the "parts guys" thread but screw it......its going here!!

I've been trying to find brake components for an older Bomag MPH100R. It has a bad accumulator charge valve and I have been going back and forth with the dealer here on trying to get a part number........all this just to see if it is even available any longer. He has sent me 3 email breakdowns of.........the rotor hydraulic system LOL:eek::rolleyes: I have replied all 3 times that your not even close but he says he is getting the information from Bomag. So I decide to pull out the ole smart phone and send him a map from my schematic..........
Bomag brake schematic.jpg
I then tell him the right half of the page is all brake hydraulics, ...........told him to send that to Bomag and maybe we will finally get somewhere. Haven't heard s%$t for a week. Seems everyone involved doesn't have a clue.o_O

Vetech63

I was fixing some dirt crew screw ups on their Bomag miller (1300/30 model) Seems they borrowed it from the paving side of the company for 6 months and has torn up all kinds of things. They didn't drain the water system well enough, so it froze up and busted about everything having to do with the spray system. After getting a new pump installed and all the valves /fittings replaced.........the water pressure switch is now showing a crack and it's losing enough water pressure that the PLM is shutting the system down. The ID tag on the vale is unreadable so I order a replacement from my Bomag dealer......$808!!! Are you effing kidding me?! No choice so I get the dam thing and get it installed. Now the system works, but only if the pressure is above 4 bar.............it's supposed to run between 1.5-4 bar........by the time I open both the rotor and conveyor spray valves, it goes under 4 bar and the PLM shuts the dam thing down again.
So I call the dealer and ask if the new switch is preset and they say yes. After 2 hours of jacking around I realize that I can change the pressure setting with an adjustment screw on the new valve housing. Come to find out, its NOT preset and the adjustment screw was bottomed out to its highest setting. I back it off to where now the system operates within its designed parameters. Just another misinformation from a dealer, hell even Bomag told me it was preset.

This isn't even what chaps my ass. This is a pic of the new valve in the box.........
Bomag pressure switch.jpg
I found this same valve online, brand new for $230.00. What a MARK UP!!!! Its robbery without the gun.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Telemecanique is garbage. They try buying their crap to save money around the asphalt plant and crusher. Their soft starts are thousands cheaper than Alan Bradley, but they are so mickey mouse, and cheap. Never last.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We call it Telecrap.

They just said it was present cause they didn't know but figured they had a 50/50 shot to be right lol.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Interesting. I went onto Bomag's Dealer portal parts and these are the choices I get. No MPH100R.

Bomag MPH100R.png

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All the materials as this the local indie’s use are turning out as bad. The guys I speak to around here cannot get switches or controls for much of anything, getting really bad with new parts failure rates excessively high.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
So I call HNC and tell him I have found a big problem. I ask him about checking the radiator core.........he replies that NFG did that :(...so he evidently thinks I am stupid and doesn't recall telling me he had checked it also.
I asked where they got the idea that changing the EGR cooler may be the problem. He replied that the dealer (whoever he is talking to there trying to troubleshoot this over the phone) had told him these exact words........."Whenever we get an overheating problem on a machine, we always start with the CHEAPEST things first". OMG.....are you kidding me? YOUR A DEALER AND YOU ARE PARTS CHANGING!!!!
View attachment 248804
View attachment 248805
This is why this industry of ours has suffered. You have bodies/drones that just do what they are told.......with no troubleshooting skills at all. There are so many things that cause overheating problems, yet a dealer field tech (supposedly one of their best) doesn't have the thought process to try and figure out what the actual problem might be? Does he really give a **** about the customer that feeds his family? People, this is just going to get worse...........so hang on to your wallets!:rolleyes:o_O.

I would be having a serious visit with all the operators and they would soon know that they had better start looking for something as simple as a plugged radiator if its getting hot. Should be part of their daily machine check.

suladas

I would be having a serious visit with all the operators and they would soon know that they had better start looking for something as simple as a plugged radiator if its getting hot. Should be part of their daily machine check.

I think you're going to be disappointed if you expect people capable of doing that.

JD955SC

In my dads day operators greased, did daily checks, serviced their radiators and air filters, even did basic services and maintenance. You’ll even see in the Cat catalogs tool groups to stay on the machine to accomplish these basic tasks.

todays operators are unfortunately often a different breed altogether.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Most I work with are pretty good, but there are a few, and they are good at operating the machine, so nothing is ever said. I've often said that it would be worth it to have a couple oilers to go around the sites at break times and in the evenings to do the stuff that these guys don't. Only the paving jobs run till dark. Most of the dirt stuff is done at 5:30, so it's doable. It's rare that any jobs take place too far from home, so it wouldn't require much running around.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
How about a little opposite perspective - when the boss is running you as a driver for maximum production on OT 6 days a week plus night call. You want to go home some of the time. So the quality and detail of maintenance checks suffers. I second the idea of an oiler that can take care of little things. It would make the driver feel better regarded as well.