• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Zewnten

I'm starting to think vtech is working for a place I temporarily worked for but quickly moved on when it was apparent I interviewed at a different company than the one that hired me.

Or these construction companies are too often have poor fleet management.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most every small company I worked for on the side had no clue how to functionally operate a small fleet, was shotgun maintenance surrounded by criticism as to spending money or use of time until critical needs were not met and all hell broke loose to fix everything the day before needed.

One Shop had One mechanic for a seven site concrete paving company, he awoke every day at 4 to run like a madman covering essential emergencies until the sun went down where three of us side jobbers were hired to cover maintenance and get machines available as spares. Smitty was on the road for half his day unless one of us could cover and he could spend more time at a site.

Quarries were eerily similar, run machines until something important fell off or failed then call in the troops and fix everything could find then slide back to routine.

JD955SC

I'm starting to think vtech is working for a place I temporarily worked for but quickly moved on when it was apparent I interviewed at a different company than the one that hired me.

Or these construction companies are too often have poor fleet management.

I’ve got two types of customers and size is not a factor.

the first brings it in or calls field service if they can’t handle it and wants the job done and done right and anything else fixed that you find broken on the way without quibble. Obviously you’re going to call them for significant issues but minor stuff you can fix it without bothering them.

the other bitches about you replacing the $100 hose that’s about to blow and dump $300 worth of hydraulic oil on the ground and stop the machine for a day or two. AFTER you get chewed out the first time for replacing that $100 hose the next time you call for approval for the $100 preventative fix that’s going to save a lot of aggravation they refuse to authorize it and would rather spend the 8 hours of labor to get back to it and replace it than the $100 while you were already in there.

you can guess which ones make me groan when I see their lowboys come in.

Vetech63

My long-time customers know how I operate. I have to look at function ability and safety on everything I go on, so I always give the equipment the "once over". If I see something could be an issue, then I have to determine cost. If we are talking about something less than $1000.00, I will go ahead and do it. If we are talking thousands and safety concerns along with it, I will report it immediately to whoever is in charge. I explain why these repairs need done and what I estimate the cost to be. If they elect to wait or compromise, they have to sign off on it.

In all the years I have been doing this it's been rare that compromising comes into play. They know I'm not just trying to pile on the bill like some around my area have in the past. I also check for service hours on filters and if the machine is overdue, I make them aware of it. 95% of the time I am allowed to do the PM while I am doing a repair.

The asphalt side of this company understands all of this. What I say generally goes without question, but I don't just go crazy..........it's not my money of course. I try to be courteous and respectful but I won't allow myself to be a scapegoat if I didn't bring up a safety concern and something disastrous happen.

Vetech63

I had just got off the phone with my woman yesterday telling her that I was going to be done early and that I would be by her shop if nothing came up. Well, something came up, so I texted her "Something came up".
She replied, "Whats her name?" :rolleyes: She does this quite often when I tell her something and change it shortly. I texted back "I just found some bimbo". She replied "You better NOT have!" I sent the following pic to her I had just taken of a trailer next to me 10 minutes prior..............
Bimbo.jpg
Sometimes.........the stars just align perfectly.

joe--h

Nige, as you said "down here" I guess you're back at it & about to post further adventures at the mine? Back to repair all that new equipment?

Joe H