• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Zewnten

Lots of rain here too. Decided to work on my shifting for the up coming CDL test instead haha.

Sorry to hear about the wife's business woes. Denver had a few small specialty CNC shops for aerospace, I spoke with them before going with wrenching and the wages were terrible, not saying that's your issue, but it sure killed any interest in pursuing it in the hopes of finding a good shop. The only one I met that made money was a guy who made missile tubes in his garage. 1.5 tubes every 24 hours but he sure had a nice house with that production rate haha.

Tinkerer

He looked into trying to get his last 3 month's of pay but I think in the end he figured it would cost too much to have to get lawyers involved.
I don't know about Canada, but in the USA it is quite easy to get past due wages by putting a Mechanic's Lien against the employer.
There may be a time frame limit on when it can be done.

Welder Dave

I don't know what stories the owner was making up to keep the employee's working. I worked at a golf course where I had to wait a couple days for the pay cheques to clear. If the employer was saying it wasn't his fault and promising bonus's or something if the employee's stayed, might be a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. If it was a good job for several years and no problems people might prefer to stay on instead of looking for a new job. Like I said the mechanic I knew called it quits over the coffee break fiasco. The salesman I liked left about 8 month's before everything started to go downhill. He got a job selling JD compact equipment and he's still there as far as I know. He was always paid up and on time.

ianjoub

When I worked construction years ago, on paydays I wore tennis shoes and carried a
butterfly net.
I do not understand this. I have never failed to pay an employee IN FULL on the promised payday. If I thought there was even a chance it would not happen, I would send them home when the money ran out (though that never happened either, though close once or twice).

Welder Dave

Sometimes there can be legitimate reasons a pay check might be a little late. 3 month's is way too long though. That's why I'm curious what kind of BS story was told. I can't really see an employer coming up to an employee part way through the day/project and saying go home because I don't have money to pay you, especially if the work is part of a contract and there are penalties if it's not completed by the specified date. That said my former neighbor doesn't have a very good history of paying on time on some big jobs he bid. It's really bad when his son pulls up to the job in a Corvette and tells the workers their pay cheques will be late. General consensus was the son was the first one paid. I had to wait 2 or 3 month's to get paid once when I worked for him. He was kicked off a job. There was a big lawsuit that didn't involve me but it was ugly. I did eventually get paid.

ianjoub

Sometimes there can be legitimate reasons a pay check might be a little late. 3 month's is way too long though. That's why I'm curious what kind of BS story was told. I can't really see an employer coming up to an employee part way through the day/project and saying go home because
When I hire someone I am giving them my word that I will pay them x dollars on x day. I do not idly break my word. My problems are not my employees problems, or at least shouldn't be.

It seems one should know if money will be a problem before the middle of any given day. I would rather tell that to an employee and let them decide instead of blind side them with no check on payday.

Welder Dave

Sometimes things beyond an employers control happen. Have seen where there's an issue with the banks computer system or if the company uses a different firm to issue the cheques. If it's a 1 time deal or happens very rarely but is rectified quickly I can't see employee's just quitting or employers telling the employee's to go home.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It happened to me “ONCE”.!!
I got to the bank to cash my check and the teller said sorry, there’s no money in the account, I can’t cash this..
I took my hour lunch, walked back in and went straight to the floor manager and threw the check at’m & said, “I’ll be back when this check is good”.!!!
He said, “hold on, don’t go anywhere.”!!
He ran up the stairs to the “big boss”..
He came back down and said it was good NOW..
He said, go to the bank NOW AND DONT CLOCK OUT.. (lol)

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I was never without a cheque but 3 guys I worked with “invested“ in the company after I left trying to “buy” their jobs. We were coming into a slowdown in work and I was laid off. The company went under 6 months later and I heard that those guys lost about 4 months pay. I did have a regular 80 cheque that was missing all the OT and standby hours. Boss didn’t sign the time sheets and he got hell from the guys. One guy had a payout for banked time because he had a bill to pay and he stood at the payroll office on Monday morning until he had the extra money. Cam