1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

This is what Caterpillar says is a perfectly screed

Discussion in 'Pavers' started by andoman, May 19, 2012.

1. milling_drum

milling_drum Senior Member

asphalt mill operator (ret)
    This operation I'm with flipped a 4ft wirtgen on monday. They had to completely bypass the local dealers and get after Nashville for the replacement parts because they know the deal all too well with these local fools. Even Nashville will drop the ball but two days in you will get a straight answer. Going direct is the only way to circumvent a week of BS because you will eventually wind up having to deal with the main product source soon anyways. The dealer makes a few pennies off initial contact and could give a rats @ss about production schedules of a customer which....about tells it like it is.

2. milling_drum

milling_drum Senior Member

asphalt mill operator (ret)
    We need to have this conversation over at LinkedIn.com and see how those pretty pictured dealer managers react.

3. stock

stock Senior Member

We have moved on and now were lost....
    Might wake up a few of them to the real world.............................................

4. andoman

andoman Well-Known Member

Some of these "dealers" need to have their franchises taken away.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD Charter Member

Operations Manager
    Have you talked to Cat directly or just threw the dealer?

6. andoman

Both, CAT corporate just sends lawyers and they get paid based on billable hours so they don't care. The problem is Cat corporate laid off all the engineers that knew what was going on.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD Charter Member

Operations Manager
    So you haven't talked to the Cat Dealer Service Rep?

8. andoman

We have, then they bounce it to an engineer, then they bounce it to someone else, and on and on and on and on......dragging their feet for 12 months.

9. csx7006

csx7006 Active Member

Any new news yet? Hope it works out in the end

10. GeoffD

GeoffD Charter Member

Operations Manager
    At this point I would call 411 and go right to Customer Service for Cat in Perior Ill and skip the dealer. If you talk to enough people at Cat you will get to the right one.

11. andoman

Ended up eating some crow and taking the settlement because corporate was determined to drag this thing out forever. Took the screed completely apart last weekend to find that every internal bolt on the screed was only hand tight, so we torqued everything up and replaced the plates and noses and that's working pretty good right now. What sucks is these are the things they should have checked from the beginning and we asked them to but they're smarter than us. Anyway, so right now we're gutting the electric heat electronics and installing the older style temp sensors, blocks, and switches so it will hopefully heat up unlike the "new" version. Once we get the heat done, the paver should work the way it should have from the beginning. I used to be a CAT guy but these issues we've had they've lost CAT about $500,000 in sales to date this year since we went to Deere and Hamm. Their loss not mine, I'll keep paving without them. All I can do is warn people about what has happened to us, you can take it as you will.

12. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

It's hard to fight Cat's lawyers, whether you're right or not.

I have found out the hard way that whoever has the most money usually wins the lawsuit.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had to endure. Betcha won't have to take a test next time it comes to a big purchase.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  13. GeoffD

GeoffD Charter Member

Operations Manager
    I feel this falls more on the dealer for not checking this stuff from the start. It sounds like the dealer took a stand, and maybe didn't give all the facts to Cat from the start. At the end of the day I feel the dealer was wrong, and wonder if they even communicated the correct message from Caterpillar at the start.

14. Vern B

Vern B Member

Retired, but buy, sell and mostly export construct
    Andoman

Curious if you were working with Jim Damron from Michigan Cat? I worked with Jim for a long time and
    always found him to be responsive to customer needs and bend over backwards for his customers. Not sure
    how much has changed since the takeover by McAllister, but Mich Cat was always responsive to customer needs.

It's unfortunate you had to go through this and are now buying other brands. It's always difficult for owners
    to have an adverserial relationship with a dealer when you still have a lot of equipment that you have to have
    serviced and buy parts for.

Hope the machine works out for you now.

15. andoman

Jim sits on his hands now, I don't think they let him make any calls anymore.

16. Vern B

Vern B Member

Retired, but buy, sell and mostly export construct
    That's unfortunate. Jim is a great guy and bent over backwards for my paving customers.

I'm hearing lots of things have changed for the worse since the takeover by McAllister.

Too bad!!

17. Nige

Nige Senior Member

In my single experience with McAllister in Indiana a few years ago (we were buying a used loader out of their territory to ship to South America) to say I was unimpressed with their level of professionalism was the understatement of the year. As I was working for a large Cat mining dealer at the time I had a good comparison to work with.

18. andoman

You can say that again. They're basically refusing to sell me parts now because I sued them, so I've been ordering parts from Ohio CAT. That's fine, they missed out on a 8 ton vibratory roller, a 4 tone vibe, 2 back hoes, new lowboy trailer (micat sells them too), and a loader. I'm going Roadtec or Wirtgen next year when I start replacing pavers and I'm going Deere or Case for my dirt iron. I have to say the reason Cat always did well was because of service, now that they don't have service all they have is over priced iron.