• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Third time hauling this one in:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
This tractor is used to both farm, and maintain a dirt track for stock cars. It pulls a scraper pan very well but there have been consistent problems keeping it mobile under it's own power. Been a combination of electronic controls being problematic resulting in a lot of money spent for repairs, and rodent damage to wiring. Don't know anything other than that except it blows the control fuse for the directional solenoids as soon as the keyswitch is turned to the "on" position this time. Heavy thing and just about all the 15K winch on the trailer wants without double blocking up. All six tires are filled, and there is a plethora of weights across the front and under the rear. This time it is stuck in FWD so that makes it really pull hard through more rolling resistance.

Bean harvest is in full swing right now so when I was in route to grab this tractor, I was "waved around" the portable scales the state police had set up as was empty. After loading, I certain went through the winding country roads to not get hung up in that as I didn't have my "Wide Load" kit with me for the truck, and the wheels overhang the trailer:

upload_2021-11-9_6-20-37.jpeg

upload_2021-11-9_6-21-2.jpeg

With farm equipment you can haul up to 12' 4" in width without permits but the equipment still needs to be flagged, bannered, and strobed for legal operation. As mentioned I didn't have my wide load "kit" with me as they didn't tell me what I was to bring back before leaving; just another dead tractor.....

1693TA

Occupation
Finally found the cuprit. Rodent damage in the left rear fender wiring harness. Chewed bare in a spot and would touch the metal guard occasionally with tractor vibration. Good now so hauled it back swapping for this one:

upload_2021-11-12_17-26-54.jpeg

upload_2021-11-12_17-27-12.jpeg

Fits just fine:

upload_2021-11-12_17-27-35.jpeg

Citing I knew the back roads to the dealer I didn't bother to comply with any regulations except secure chaining. The return trip was uneventful.

1693TA

Occupation
That's a nice looking Allis.

They have a lot of Allis-Chalmers tractors. That DT series, (1st tractor) has an 8.3ltr Cummins engine and really hums nicely. The older 8070 has an Allis-Chalmers engine, (don't know which) but also runs very well.

1693TA

Occupation
That second tractor is about 24K on the trailer. You can see the negative arch the trailer is beginning to take as the elasticity of the steel framework is doing it's job. It has all six tires weighted down. Yes the chain is ran through a clevis attached to the drawbar and tractor bindered very tightly to "squeeze" the tires. It would take a lot more force on a washboard road than the equipment would endure to get that tractor to slide. I do usually employ four chains in a crossed pull if going much distance, or highway speeds of duration. Of course if hauling something with steel tracks, it always gets at least four chains as they will slide much too easily.

We've been really happy with the trailer. No real problems but the original supplied "Gladiator" tires are pretty much garbage as I've had six active blowouts with a couple of them happening while the trailer was empty. However, you can see the trailer gets it's fair share of heavy usage. We have been talking with the same manufacturer about building a three axle version to replace this one too as these type tractors get a lot of hauling we never anticipated, and I don't mind pulling them.

1693TA

Occupation
The second tractor (Allis-Chalmers 8670) has a worn out powershift transmission. It seems to operate fine cold but when the temperature elevates, reverse is lost or very slow in operation, and fifth gear is very noisy. Owner is advised and wants it repaired along with a full service to go back into the fields for spring planting.

Tractor has a 3500 Allis-Chalmers engine set at 185hp and has been rebuilt. It has just over 8500hrs total and has been a good one I'm told.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On this side of the Big Muddy, we are required to pull the outer dual to trailer, roading not necessary.

1693TA

Occupation
On this side of the Big Muddy, we are required to pull the outer dual to trailer, roading not necessary.
I've not had problems into MO with duals overhanging. I usually run US 24 and meander along county roads on deliveries and pickups to avoid scales. Always purchase trip permits and although not required as running a gasoline engine, I also get a fuel permit. The $20.00 both cost is cheap insurance should an unversed lawman wish to "speak" alongside the roadway.

This is another 8020 with filled tires and was in February this year and went to just east of Independence, MO:

upload_2021-11-20_14-1-19.jpeg

upload_2021-11-20_14-1-34.jpeg

upload_2021-11-20_14-1-47.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
Today's run. Just shy of 100 miles to run up, and return the same way. Heavy tractor for certain:

upload_2021-11-22_17-27-48.jpeg

upload_2021-11-22_17-28-6.jpeg

Always cross chain with trips of distance:

upload_2021-11-22_17-28-45.jpeg

upload_2021-11-22_17-29-1.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
As you can see in the "swayback" to the trailer, there is some weight:

upload_2021-11-22_17-31-23.jpeg

No problems running 65mph most of the way home. However there were two one lane construction zones but they were wide enough to pass through. Only the axle stubs were wider than the trailer so I attached flags to them. My rear box on the trailer contains two strobe lamps and they are powered by a small 12VDC battery out of a defunct jumper box. It works very well having the battery Velcro'd to the back of the lamp housing and the assembly ratchet strapped to the deck.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
So you do tractor repair or tractor transport or both or what

I just haul stuff for them. Seldom do I get into any repairs as they have mechanics employed for that work. Their truck and trailer, but I did put the truck together for them from a 26' Budget rental van.

Being retired, hauling this equipment gives me something to do, and keeps me out of jail;).

1693TA

Occupation
The owner of those Allis-Chalmers tractors wants that powershift transmission repaired and the tractor serviced to "new" condition including a new cab insulation kit to make it quieter. The cab insulation is mostly complete but showing it's age so will be replaced with a new kit which is still readily available.

The mechanics are to break into it yet this week to ascertain parts needs. I'm told it really isn't too bad of job once access is gained by splitting the tractor to remove the transmission.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Later Allis Power Sifts were a far sight better than the early Power Director sets. My own aged 180 needs that gone thru. As well Engine 'refreshed'.

1693TA

Occupation
They just sold a "200" yesterday that had been setting over a year since I hauled it in. It cranked easily and with just a "sniff", was running. I'm told that one had coolant in the oil and the gent traded it on a new compact New Holland which I delivered. We never had it running.

I think that 8070 is a six speed power shift trans. Fifth gear is used mostly when working and is very noisy. Reverse I'm told you can stop the tractor with the service brakes and have the engine at governed speed so quite worn out. Scanning through the parts data base it appears everything is readily available for rebuild, as are reman units. I don't know which way the repair will go myself.

Owner even wants new "Morse" shifting, and park cables as the old ones are getting "stiff". I guess he's oiled them and they wont loosen acceptably well so opting to replace.

1693TA

Occupation
Today they removed the duals from the 8070 and pumped out 72 gallons of fuel from the tank. This along with washing on the tractor for almost three hours to remove the sediment from so many years of farming. I'd wager well over a hundred pounds of mud was removed as it was packed everywhere.

Tractor is now staged in the shop for splitting but a lot of ancillary items are to be removed first. It appears AGCO still offers a reman trans for this series, but I don't know cost. Regardless, the owner has given approval for up to 20K in repairs so obviously wants it repaired correctly. I talked to him today while he was in and showed him the tractors loaded photos I'd posted here. Told me I did a good job with handling both tractors and was especially pleased I'd closed and locked entry gates after passing through.

1693TA

Occupation
Went in to the implement dealer to deliver a couple of lawnmower tractors, and a compact tractor. All going to the same place:

upload_2021-11-30_18-58-32.jpeg

Noticed the Allis-Chalmers cab on the ground outside the shop door:

upload_2021-11-30_18-59-58.jpeg

upload_2021-11-30_19-0-14.jpeg

upload_2021-11-30_19-0-32.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
After the lawnmower deliveries, and having nothing to do, I jumped into the fray of splitting this Allis-Chalmers tractor:

upload_2021-11-30_19-1-53.jpeg

upload_2021-11-30_19-2-8.jpeg

Faulty power shift transmission:

upload_2021-11-30_19-2-36.jpeg

Split apart:

upload_2021-11-30_19-3-5.jpeg