• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thinking of Purchasing CAT skid steer around 3 tonne mark, to run planer Any Thoughts

eamon

Hi Folks,

We are looking at purchasing some new skid steers,we have run Bobcat, Gehl, and JCB, Gehl being are favourite, CAT are chasing us hard, but we have no experiance of them for skids.

Can you offer advise on a model around the 3 tonne mark, We will be using them with our tarmac gangs, planing (so need high flow), sweeping and bucket work.

What are your thoughts???

durallymax

Are you looking for 3 tonne (6600lb) operating weight?

That would put you sown into the 226b and 236b size.

What else are you looking for? Tracks or tires? Radial or vertical?

If you cam get up into the c series they are nicer but also cost more. The B's are still a good proven design.

If you haven't figured out the nomenclature yet, the 2ndway number is the size and the 3rd number tells you if its radial lift (6), vertical lift (2), MTL (7) or CTL (9).

There is currently the b, c and d series. Each series picks up where the other one left off somewhat.

eamon

Durallymax,

Thanks for replying.

Yes around 3 tonne ( 6600 lb), on tyres, Tracks too expensive on roads, not bothered weather vertical or radial, but do look at resale value.
I prefer to get the new series, again resale better, are they coming out with a new series??
Whats differant?
We have an order in for excavators, rollers as they are coming back with good prices, however we do rate the Gehl skids, brilliant controls with the planer. Jcb were good, but they were too sensativedelayed with controls, but operators loved them for everything else. And dispite what everyone else says in usa we haven't had many problems with JCB.

Thanks for the numbers breakdown thingy, i will find it helpful. Are there anyone else running planers that can offer advice on which model / manufacture. Thanks.

jwfarm

I would just wonder if you are getting along good with your Gehl, why change? It seems everytime we work on our D6H it is very expensive and I would assume their skids are the same but maybe not. Mustang/Gehl are upgrading their cabs on the larger models like the 2076 a year from now, not sure what else, but we were told that at a farm show in Feb.and it is time. Guess it doesn't hurt to look at others and then decide for yourself.

JDOFMEMI

No direct experience at what you are looking for, but a lot of the pavers around here that run planers use a 262. It is a little bigger than you are looking at, but comes with the high flow and the HP needed to run a planer. Seems to me a 3 tonner might be a touch light for planer duty.

durallymax

I agree on the 6600lb being too light.

We just got a 262c and two 242b3s. The C series Is much nicer.

The main differences across the board are lift capacity, horsepower and hydraulic power. For anything smaller than 74hp or 2150lb ROC you have to get a b series and it will have a radial boom. The 242b has those exact specs in a vertical boom and the 252b is bigger yet in a vertical. The c series picks up by adding the 246 and 256 which share specs similar to their b counterparts but with radial booms and the c framework.

They then go up to the 262 and 272.

Aside from the size, the c series has a bigger cab that you sit a lot higher in. Better visibility. Bigger door, bigger windows, pressurized cab, electric over hydraulic controls mounted in the armrests. Single piece chassis, better visibility and more options overall.

eamon

Thanks for the replys,

I think i will check out the slightly larger models, we usually stick to 3 tonnes max as it helps transport with smaller trucks, but they normally go out with the large trucks anyway.

The reason for not sticking with Gehl, it is part of a larger order with CAT, but we've no experiance so hence the forum.

Any problems with the CAT? Are the control good with a planer( they need to be very fine)??

durallymax

Thanks for the replys,

I think i will check out the slightly larger models, we usually stick to 3 tonnes max as it helps transport with smaller trucks, but they normally go out with the large trucks anyway.

The reason for not sticking with Gehl, it is part of a larger order with CAT, but we've no experiance so hence the forum.

Any problems with the CAT? Are the control good with a planer( they need to be very fine)??

The controls are good. The EH controls take some getting used to. If you get the AMICS system you can tune the controls to be responsive or unreponsive. They can be very fine. The Creeper gear will also work nice for your planer.

eamon

Durallymax,

What way do the controls take some getting use to?? and pro and cons of EH and AMICS.

durallymax

You will see alot of people in threads mention the switch from the pilots to the EH controls takes some time. The general consensus is that they don't like them. However on internet forums you will see that there is usually the complaint because people are fed up and need to vent, however once it is fixed/the get used to it they rarely revisit the thread to say anything. Its the way people work, everybody does it.

For us right now we are all switching to ISO pattern from Hand/Foot so its all a big change to begin with. Having two B's with pilots and one C with EH though I can tell the difference. The Pilots don't offer feedback really when compared to other controls. The EH controls provide zero feedback though, its just a video game. The EH controls are stiffer than the Pilots. Some like this, others don't. The Pilots are more responsive and easier to "finesse" I think. But I am new to both controls and my opinion will probably be different down the road.

The AMICS system I feel is worth it but I havent ran a machine without it. For us its nice being able to tone down the controls for the new learners and then bump it back up for the experienced people. For your application (cold planer) the creeper gear would be the selling point on AMICS I would feel.

The trade off for the EH controls is that they are adjustable to your likings and move with the seat. Add to that the fact that the cab and machine is nicer overall, and it offsets things a little.

If you can go down to their lot and drive a lot of them, you will be able to see which one you like best. Sitting in them is the best way to know.