• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thinking of modifing a pull behind compactor to attached it to a wheel loaders arms

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
I have a pull behind Dynapac CK11 compactor, 3100 pounds, 55 inch wide drum, in excellent condition.
I want to modify it so I can use it with a compact loader.
Basicly what I am thinking of is cutting off the tow behind hitch and welding on a skid steer universal mounting frame.
Might add on a swivel pin between the compactor frame and skid steer mounting plate, for oscillation over uneven ground surface.
Compact loader is a Waldon 5100, weights 7,100 pounds.
Static tip load straight is 4,100 pounds and at full turn its 3,500 pounds.
Maxium drawbar pull is 3,500 pounds.
SAE bucket operating capacity is 1,700 pounds but I have a 3/4 cubic yard bucket (2,100 pound load of dirt) on it and it handles it just find.
Tires are 10x16.5 skid steer.
I have installed locking differentials in both axles, what a difference in performace that made.
The compactors drum is not powered it does not drive forward/reserve.
What do you think is it feasible?
Any comments?
Any suggestions?

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Back in 01 I worked for an outfit that was from out of town. On the weekends I repaired equipment and off loaded trucks for them. One day we had an old Hyster asphault roller blow a transmission. Being the motor was badly worn they just wanted to cut it up. I asked them about some of the parts it used for the company. They agreed. I salvaged some steel plate and the drums. I used teh front drum and oscillation JRB coupler on the the WA250 Komatsu. I did this on my own time but after they saw the handy ness of it they gave me a bonus.
It was good about rolling crushed stone and pads across the site the old roller had trouble getting to. On the drum I split a section of pipe that the fitters cut off and and old cutting edge to make a light knockdown blade. It was really good on sand pads and other jobs We even used it in conjuntion with our QC planers we used to cut sections of driveways and roads for laying pipe. We could windrow and spread base and pavement and then stick the roller on and roll it. It saved on loading and hauling that pig of a roller and even the combo roller. Later we found the front of a vibratory padfood Ingersoll Rand and made a vibratory pade foot rig to.

I also made the larger rear drum into a towed trailer unit for our TD15 and our big tractor.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Question for Taylortractornu
Were you able to reverse the rotation direction of the drum you would mount to the WA250 loader? I am wondering if the Hyster drum had a reservable rotation, if it did, AND the rotation of the drum was not reversed, what was the effect of backing up the WA250 pulling it backwards when the drum was in the forward rotation, any comment.
After it was used for a while did the roller damage the loader arms, bend them?

What oscillation JRB coupler on the WA250 loader? what are you communicating?

Also it appears this plan should work as there are viabrating roller attachments for skid steer loaders, so attaching a pull behind roller to the small Waldon loader arms should work also.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Im sorry I realized that my post wasnt clear. WHat I meant by Oscilation hitch Is the old asphault roller had an oscillation joint in it to let it go over bumps left and right. It was part of the original roller. Its important to have on a larger drum as the down pressure and the width of the roller a bump or uneven spot will bend the loader arms or mount or not compact evenly. JRB couplers are what we ran on our tool carriers.

On the sheeps foot rig we just used the vibratory part of the drum instead of the drum drive. The WA 250 didnt need any assisance. We used them compact some of our levee slopes.

chet

hey bob did u ever get this to work, i have the same idea we had an old dynapac pull behind that sounds like its the same size u have but needs some new bearings wondering if its worth the money to replace bearings an tryin to rig up a hydraulic motor to make it run