• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thinking about buying a Bobcat T250 with a left side final drive leaking badly

Heavy Chevy

I am researching buying a Bobcat T250 for $12,000. It has 4400 hrs on it but the owner says the left final drive is leaking pretty bad. He also mentioned that sometimes when it rains it acts a little funny as the fuse box needs some repair (sounds like it needs a new wiring harness to me). I am looking to purchase a large size TL with intentions of purchasing a forrestry mulcher eventually. Not quite sure if this machine is high flow or standard flow; however, I'm pretty sure I can tear down the final drive and replace or get repaired if leaking. I'm looking for advice on anyone that is familiar with this machine whether I should take the risk and purchase at that price or if I should stay away. I am pretty mechanically inclined to fix most things.

Welder Dave

Price out some parts before you do anything. The last thing you need is electrical issues. Look at other machines to get an idea on price for one that doesn't need any major repairs. Also price out a mulcher.

Heavy Chevy

Price out some parts before you do anything. The last thing you need is electrical issues. Look at other machines to get an idea on price for one that doesn't need any major repairs. Also price out a mulcher.
Yes, I'be been looking ....thinking still thinking to good to be true..haven't physically seen it...other same machine is normally in the $25k and greater range. So if engine ran well...maybe sinking another $3-$5k in it to get it right as long as I can do the work still would put me out ahead, just my thoughts. Thanks for the advice.

Welder Dave

If you need a drive motor or something similar could be 5K on it's own. If it's caused contamination in the system who knows what else may need replacement. If it has electronic/ electrical issues could be a huge nightmare. There's a reason it's listed for 12K. I doubt the seller is telling you everything. If the repairs were 5K why wouldn't the seller fix them and ask 20K+ for the machine??? You know what they say about being too good to be true. A mulcher is heavy duty application so I'd think you want the best maintained machine you can find that doesn't have any issues.

Heavy Chevy

If you need a drive motor or something similar could be 5K on it's own. If it's caused contamination in the system who knows what else may need replacement. If it has electronic/ electrical issues could be a huge nightmare. There's a reason it's listed for 12K. I doubt the seller is telling you everything. If the repairs were 5K why wouldn't the seller fix them and ask 20K+ for the machine??? You know what they say about being too good to be true. A mulcher is heavy duty application so I'd think you want the best maintained machine you can find that doesn't have any issues.
I totally agree that there is something that might be major that I'm trying to figure out. He just came back and said the when it is wet outside and the fuse box gets wet, "traction control light wont go out so machine wont move but haven't had that issue since put a bag on it to cover it from getting wet" I need to call Bobcat and see if this is an issue that can be caused like he says. I don't mind taking on a project if good deal....but gotta know what the bottomline could cost me as I think I can do the work myself and save MAJOR labor cost. By him saying it won't move sounds like it could be a major issue now......if strictly electrical, I might be willing to replace the wiring harness.

Welder Dave

If your motivation is to find a cheap machine, you could end up with a big can of worms. Why is this machine still for sale if it is such a god deal? Don't limit yourself to just this machine. First thing to do is verify it has high flow.

Heavy Chevy

If your motivation is to find a cheap machine, you could end up with a big can of worms. Why is this machine still for sale if it is such a god deal? Don't limit yourself to just this machine. First thing to do is verify it has high flow.
Ok, will do, thx