• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Think this is unsafe?

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
did he film it so just incase somthin happened they would know what happedned to his stupid butt,...

heavylift

heck he has a backhoe dig a hole...

build a berm...

he did jump when the pan fell ... so I'm thinking his pan may need cleaning also...

Tiny

My 1st thought after finding out his boy was running the camera was,If that went bad . That would be one heck of a way to remember your dad and have it all on vid too......WAAAAY Past Unsafe.

JDOFMEMI

At least they blocked it with something. That may not be the OSHA approved blocking we would all like to use, but it was what he had. I am sure the backhoe bucket would hold up well enough to keep the machine from falling clear to the ground.
I was pretty concerned about the chain used to pull it up, but it held.

I was more concerned with pulling belly pan bolts while under the pan. That could easily go wrong. Should have had a chain under it first.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
He may have had the Cat loader/hoe bucket under it for a safety prop, but what pulled the chain to set pan back in place? The loader/hoe, that's what. And he got under it to re-install the pan bolts without the loader/hoe bucket under track, it was sitting to the side of the machine. Sorry, but this whole endevour was simply too risky. Furthermore, if he would perfom a stunt like this, does this particular person have any legitimate inhibitions for other forms of stupid behavior involving himself or co-workers? My father was a great influence on me, reckon what learned behavior this fellas boy is absorbing. This man is lucky this didn't turn out to be one of those videos that is banned from this forum because of the graphic outcome of the video. Just my humble opinion. :)

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I have dropped lots of belly pans useing a chain.Tried it with a jack.Not to stable.A chain will let it down and pull it up better.They shops have a better jack but more money for tools too.

Randy88

Unbelievable, it leaves me speachless and they taped it? Theres a whole lot of vocabulary words that would describe that stunt and none are really nice to use and most are banned on the forum I think but where is comon sense here and any form of safety, it takes only a second to get injured and even less to get killed.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Think this is unsafe?... Yes I do.

This works much, much, better... and it's so easy to make... :cool2

Even ATCO, John C., and 25c liked it... ;)

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?p=182257#post182257

On thing I noticed in that video, was the fellow letting the pan down, by unscrewing the remaining bolts... that technique is very unfriendly to both the bolts, and bolt hole threads.

OCR

Last edited:

Puffie40

On thing I noticed in that video, was the fellow letting the pan down, by unscrewing the remaining bolts... that technique is very unfriendly to both the bolts, and bolt hole threads.

Thanks for pointing out what I think is the other unsafe thing. Putting more and more wieght on those bolts will eventually cause them to snap. I have not messed around with the belly pans on our Cats, but I can imagine those are in the 200-500 pound range.

There is not even a chain holding the pan shut so the descent of the pan can be controlled, and the guy would not be in the way when it violently let go like in the video.

Dualie

Darwin had a theory. DEFINITELY not the way i would do it AT ALL! the fact he had the guts to post it on youtube only speaks volumes about what he does when no one is looking.

wh_4741

6006881557_7152027886.jpg