• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Things done at Work

hvy 1ton

Tiny, you guys put together a JE Dunn tower in lawrence over by the park and ride lot? I saw a bunch of red trucks...

Tiny

If this thread get's boring just sound off , This 348 was put together the night before.

Its not a company machine but if it moves it's done by us . It was put together to set a tower crane . It's a real no space job . The plan is to set the tower up and drag the 348 out Sunday . I hauled to them yesterday .

The building is at Kansas University med center . Supposedly it gets 3 more floors added to it .

Like I said zero room and rig was in the street . 1st few pic's will give you an idea

dunn tower ku_007.JPG
dunn tower ku_011.JPG
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• dunn tower ku_012.JPG
    dunn tower ku_012.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,166
  • dunn tower ku_014.JPG
    dunn tower ku_014.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,177
  • dunn tower ku_010.JPG
    dunn tower ku_010.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 1,186
Last edited:

Tiny

The rest of the machine will be put together today but you can see where I'm at ...........:)

...dunn tower ku_004.JPGdunn tower ku_019.JPGdunn tower ku_022.JPG

Attachments

• dunn tower ku_020.JPG
    dunn tower ku_020.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,175
  • dunn tower ku_024.JPG
    dunn tower ku_024.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,153
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, a hydro crane big enough to erect a tower that size and that high would require even more space on the ground than a crawler conventional, and I say every square inch of space is spoken for at that spot. :)

Tiny

Actually, a hydro crane big enough to erect a tower that size and that high would require even more space on the ground than a crawler conventional, and I say every square inch of space is spoken for at that spot. :)

Very true , A hydraulic machine would have a "larger footprint"

Pic's are of a 180 hydraulic

Attachments

• 8 18 10 011 (Small).jpg
    8 18 10 011 (Small).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • 8 18 10 009 (Small).jpg
    8 18 10 009 (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,272
Last edited:

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator

Well I certainly wouldn't argue the space required for the outrigger spread, my thoughts were about the space and time to assemble and erect the conventional boom.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well I certainly wouldn't argue the space required for the outrigger spread, my thoughts were about the space and time to assemble and erect the conventional boom.

You would be correct about the space required to assemble the rig. But it would be a temporary operation, a short lane closure. A good crew that's got their ducks in a row can knock the boom in a conventional and have it in the air in short order. :)

Tiny

They assembled at night in 10 hrs on a Wednesday , Tore it down on the following Sunday

BigIron25

And another bridge Beam job but a different deal,New design with the beams running side by side and cables pulling them tight together.Well at least it new for Missouri LOL..........Don't even get a concrete deck.Overlays with asphalt.

This is funny, we set some beams like this with our AC200 me and the guy I was with had never seen any beams like this either. Probably the same exact Kiewit crew and with the 222 Western Series crane. Same set up with having the truck drivers park parallel to the bridge on a temporary road. We were up in Princeton Missouri out in the middle of nowhere. I think some of the ironworkers that helped set the beams either had Wilkerson hardhat stickers or had said they worked with Wilkerson. Small world!

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator
You would be correct about the space required to assemble the rig. But it would be a temporary operation, a short lane closure. A good crew that's got their ducks in a row can knock the boom in a conventional and have it in the air in short order. :)

I guess I just am not used to seeing a conventional setup unless its going to be there for a few years, one thing I have noticed over the last few years is that you guys seem to have alot more conventional cranes down there than we do in Canada. I guess we just like hydraulic machines up here more .