• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thin walled tubing wrenches for hydraulics?

jonno634

Occupation
Farmer
BD5E1D0F-A3CA-4174-9E63-05CFF5939616.jpeg F1DA2DED-B1D6-4F26-A82B-0F97F49C9D57.jpeg BD5E1D0F-A3CA-4174-9E63-05CFF5939616.jpeg On a hydraulic manifold on my John Deere, the fittings are so close together I can get regular tubing wrenches on them. Is there a tool set for something like this, or is it make your own? See pic, the one I am pointing at is the one to replace (don’t want to have to remove all of the hoses from one side to change it).

I kinda built one, but it’s still too thick, not sure it will be able to put it back on. Did decide I need to put some junk wrenches on my truck, didn’t like making a tool out of a good one.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I have some pretty thin tube crows feet kicking around but still sometimes you have to take a line or several off to get to the one in question, just how it goes. I'd probably just see if I could get on that line with the black zip tie up on the crimp at an angle then work over.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
There's this option as well Screenshot_20210609-050900_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Although the thin flare nut sockets MG2361 posted seem to work in tighter spots.

A word of caution, if you work in the dirt, make and mod all the tools you want. If there's the slightest chance you're going on mine property, don't even think about it. A modified wrench will cost a small fortune in fines and penalties. Its not worth the work savings.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A word of caution, if you work in the dirt, make and mod all the tools you want. If there's the slightest chance you're going on mine property, don't even think about it. A modified wrench will cost a small fortune in fines and penalties. Its not worth the work savings.

Not sure if "mines" are different than "quarries" but kind of glad I retired when I did as from what little I have heard things have gotten much worse for someone just trying to do a simple job! I can see where if a machine can be moved off the company property to have any work done a company will move it just to avoid the red tape to do the job themselves.
I know that mind set is what killed 90% of the in house work where I worked!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Any tool modded from factory config is a no-no. You can't bend, give it a twist or grind on it. Its ridiculous. Their argument is that the tool is no longer "safe" as it has been modified. Chisel heads have to be dressed properly. Can't tape up a power cord to your drill or grinder, an electrician has to do it. Guards have to be in place on everything. Basically everything on your truck has to be lawyer proof.

Vetech63

Any tool modded from factory config is a no-no. You can't bend, give it a twist or grind on it. Its ridiculous. Their argument is that the tool is no longer "safe" as it has been modified. Chisel heads have to be dressed properly. Can't tape up a power cord to your drill or grinder, an electrician has to do it. Guards have to be in place on everything. Basically everything on your truck has to be lawyer proof.
I probably have a $100000.00 worth of violations on my truck then.

kshansen

Occupation
Why is this? I haven't heard of that but I haven't done mine work in 35 years.
I know underground mines can be a problem!

I was all set to travel to a site owned by the same company I worked for to prepare a D10 dozer to be shipped to another quarry near where I worked. Had a few discussions with Nige and had even purchased a supply of hydraulic block off plates to cap off lines we would be removing to remove ripper and other cylinders to get size and weight to legal weight and dimensions.

Then someone decided that despite the fact that this D10 was parked well away from mouth of underground tunnel for this underground limestone mine it was technically on the property of an underground mine. As myself and guys scheduled to work with me did not have MSHA underground training despite working at above ground quarries for decades and machine was not or never had been used underground the project got canceled and was sub contracted to some outfit who just unhooked lines and let oil leak where ever it liked!

Vetech63

I know underground mines can be a problem!

I was all set to travel to a site owned by the same company I worked for to prepare a D10 dozer to be shipped to another quarry near where I worked. Had a few discussions with Nige and had even purchased a supply of hydraulic block off plates to cap off lines we would be removing to remove ripper and other cylinders to get size and weight to legal weight and dimensions.

Then someone decided that despite the fact that this D10 was parked well away from mouth of underground tunnel for this underground limestone mine it was technically on the property of an underground mine. As myself and guys scheduled to work with me did not have MSHA underground training despite working at above ground quarries for decades and machine was not or never had been used underground the project got canceled and was sub contracted to some outfit who just unhooked lines and let oil leak where ever it liked!
LOL.....that makes no sense at all!

kshansen

Occupation
What brand/pn is that set? Looks like what I may want.
I think I better go out to garage and check my tool box! Looks like the set I have, 90% sure mine are Snap-On.

Being thin like they are they are not extremely strong and sometimes I had to resort to using a chisel and hammer to give the tubing nut a nudge to start it turning. If done with some care will do the trick without any real damage, slightly dull chisel helps.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic

I just pulled that image off Amazon, but all the major tool suppliers sell them as well. In my tool box I have several sizes of Matco brand.

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager
There's this option as well View attachment 240432
Although the thin flare nut sockets MG2361 posted seem to work in tighter spots.

Ive worked offshore on rigs for last ten years and it's exactly the same, not allowed to modify any tools

crane operator

Ratcheting flare nut wrenches is what you want to search for. Proto- wright and there may be chinese knock offs.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Prot...eting+flare+nut+wrench&qid=1623266277&sr=8-17

61QEp5qEVUL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Tinkerer

I have some really nice tubing wrenches. But I still just start taking the outside hose off in the line and work may way to the problem hose.
It just saves a lot of time and frustration.
When you run out of single color zip ties start putting two on, different colors.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Snappy makes a good wrench for this. I have only 1,,, a 7/8 12 pt for John Deere work. But,,,,,,,,,,,, a guy can take a common combo and a cut off wheel and make it, take some off the outside with a grinder if you have too. Find a pretty sturdy import or even old box wrench and get er done.