• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thickest Grease

nickbowers

Hi All,
I'm after a new lot of grease and am chasing the thickest i can get,
I am currently using Lucas Oil but wondering what people are recommending.
Cheers,
Nick

Tinkerer

Nick, I see you are using Lucas Oil grease. But you didn't say what weight it is. The Lucas dealer most likely can get what ever weight you need. All the grease I ever used was (National Lubrication Grease Institute) NLGI #1 and #2. We used to call #1 winter use weight.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Guess the question is what is the application? I know Mobil Oil shows an NLG#3. Then there are open gear lubes that are very thick, but don't think you can pump them.

Tinkerer

Have checked into crater family of greases ? The heavier grades are really quite stiff. We used to use it in the open gears of cranes. It was as thick as tar. We even had some of it in spray cans. I don't remember what weight was in those cans. It was used on the cables. Here is a link to the Texaco brand of it.
http://www.gannonoils.co.uk/Industrial/Grease/Texaco_Greases/Texaco_Crater.html