• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Theft Deterrent

NinePine

I have a Bobcat S185 with full cab and keyed ignition. Since anyone with a Bobcat key can access my cab and start the unit I decided to put in a 12 volt wireless latching relay as a deterrent to unauthorized use. I plan to be hauling the unit to a location to load fill dirt in my dump truck and do not wish to haul it back and forth while hauling dirt. No system is perfect, but it will offer me a little piece of mind while it is there unattended. After looking on line and finding some retailers charging several hundred dollars for this set up, I opted to buy a relay with four key fobs for $14.00 on amazon. The key fobs I received had cheap no name batteries, three of the four were dead. Bought four new A27 Energizers to replace them at a cost of about $9.00. Took me about 30 minutes to install. The relay is a black box about 3"x2"x1" rated for 10 amps with an antenna wire, 12 volt in wire, 12 volt out wire, and two ground wires(just tied these together to make one wire). All I had to do was remove my right overhead panel that holds the ignition switch and all the warning lights. Unplugged the multi pin connector going to panel and set panel aside. Using a multi meter I located the 12 volt feed to panel and the ground to panel. Cut hot feed and wired this to 12 volt in on relay. The other side of that cut wire going to panel I connected to relay 12 volt out on relay. The two ground wires from relay were attached to ground to panel. I used all male and female insulated connectors in such a manner that if any issues arose with this relay I could just unplug it and plug hot wire to panel to itself and bypass relay. Placed the relay inside cab frame just to left of right head light and secured with industrial strength velcro. Plugged multi pin connector back in to panel and reinstalled panel. Turned key to on position and nothing. Pressed on button on key fob and panel and gauges came to life. Cycled relay on and off with all four fobs and all worked. The manufacture stated that fobs have a range of 100'. Don't know, haven't tried at distance. I figure I will always be in it when starting. Have had the relay installed for about two weeks now and all seems to be well. Will have to see how she holds up.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Good job on the install :) We often thought of doing the same but usually just install another main disconnect for the battery somewhere easy to get at but hard to see, this way we can still start it without having to remember one more thing(keyfob) and we can instruct others how to start and move it by phone if the need arises.

DIYDAVE

If I have doubts about the area I'm in, I pull the hot wire offa the start solenoid, and hide it in the loom... at least they'll have to be smart enough to find it, and it may take them some time to steal it...;)

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
They just short the solenoid then ;) but yeah, it will take em' longer to steal it.

Last edited:

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
if they are stealing it they are not that smart to start with
most of the time if it don't start they look for the next victim

nycb

Good job on the install :) We often thought of doing the same but usually just install another main disconnect for the battery somewhere easy to get at but hard to see, this way we can still start it without having to remember one more thing(keyfob) and we can instruct others how to start and move it by phone if the need arises.

A racecar battery cuttoff in the engine bay somewhere is a good way to remember to check fluids every day too, since you can't start the thing without opening up the rear hatch.

JBrady

It's a good bit more expensive, but you can upgrade to the deluxe panel from Bobcat and then you have probably the best system available. As the service manager told me, that bobcat absolutely will not start without the proper code being put in. Unless the thief has the manufactures code that is specific to that S/Nor your personal code, it ain't starting. You also get the benefit of going back and seeing past error codes, digital gauges, setting up temporary codes for operators, etc. I think you can get a re-manufactured panel for around $800.00 and I have seen them on ebay for around $400.