• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Vickers Vigor

biggerdigger

Occupation
Editor of Contractor, the magazine for New Zealand

Attachments

• VickersVigor.jpg
    VickersVigor.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 3,842

Leadfoot

Sounds like they went the way of the Do-Do bird, but it was mainly due to the tracks, too bad, I like the concept though.

Deas Plant

Vickers with little vigor.

Hi, Bigger Digger.
Not a bad article, I suppose but from what I've heard, the clutch housing would eventually leap apart when you whistled due to the number of times you had to replace clutches, especially on dozer work. There were a number of them imported into DownUnder too - the REAL one over to the West of you - including a heap for the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme. I've come across a couple of fitters now who worked down there and hated the sight of them. Apparently, the engine was the best part of them.

And Yes, Leadfoot, they have gone the way of the Do-do bird - long ago. There was one sitting in a paddock on the side of the road just South of a town called Nowra on the South Coast of New South Wales, Australia, the last time I was down that way about 5 years ago. It was actually gainfully employed in a cost-effective way - it was doing duty as an advertising billboard for a local contractor. See photos below. See also a cutaway schematic of the beast. And, PLEASE, don't ask me what the clothesline from the tree pusher back to the brush canopy is for. I don't know.

Attachments

• Vickers 'dozer_1.jpg
    Vickers 'dozer_1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,169
  • Vickers 'dozer_2.jpg
    Vickers 'dozer_2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,790
  • Vickers 'dozer_3.jpg
    Vickers 'dozer_3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,691
  • Vickers VR180_1_Acmoc.jpg
    Vickers VR180_1_Acmoc.jpg