• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ultimate Loader??

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
yeah all jerky and craptastic Ive ran some l220e's and they all suck. compared to a cat 980g or any cat machine those volvo's are gutless pigs
Aw Ryan...do you need a diaper change and a bubbie...sometimes it's more about knowing how to run a machine to get the most out of it. But I suppose the G probably has a nicer radio, or maybe you enjoy the sleep time you get when it breaks down. Craptastic...what are you 10

JGibson

If a Z7 Kawasaki and a K series deere had a baby that met in the middle with a tier 3 engine would be perfect lol. In all seriousness, they are both fantastic loaders and If I ever were too buy one, those would be the first on my list. Doosan isn't bad, and Gasp!, Jcb's new loaders are nice

Ryan151

You honestly think a Volvo is better than a cat you obviously haven't ran many loaders. Secondly you haven't worked on many either.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
You honestly think a Volvo is better than a cat you obviously haven't ran many loaders. Secondly you haven't worked on many either.
We have 4 Cat loaders. A 950G, a 950H, a 972H, and a 980H. We have nothing to compare to the 980. The first year it was here, it was constantly down. They seemed to get a handle on it, and it does it's job well. Since the warranty ended on the 972, they have spent about 40 grand in repairs. The Cat guy calls it satans choice. The L150E can run circles around it, and uses a lot less fuel. The 950H blew a PLASTIC test line when they loaded it on the float the day they bought it....who uses hard plastic hoses. It is constantly bothered by electrical problems. The 950G has had a transmission replaced under warranty, but is not a bad machine. Both 950s were on water and sewer crews, but were replaced by L90Fs because they were faster, and the operators found them to be way smoother. The bucket tips back farther so you can carry more stone, and bedding for pipe. The 2 950s and the 972 burned more fuel this winter plowing than 3 L90Fs, and 2 L70Gs, and they all averaged the same amount of hours. And yes you are right, I don't work on the loaders, cause I run a Volvo, and they don't break down.

Ryan151

Seems like you've had a good experience however our volvos break constantly we too had transmission issues with our cat but it was due to a bad operator digging in second gear burned up the torque converter. Every volvo I have ran sucks compared to cats. That's me plus it's all foreign the air lines for the seats hoses everything is pretty much dealer only. I didn't hear too many good things about the H series cats. The gs are good though.

ThaddeusSonnenb

I am an up coming building contractor and want to buy heavy loaders which I will need in my new business but not getting an idea about which one would be the best loader. I have searched here and got some options. But I am searching for some other options also, can anyone please suggest me some heavy loader for my start-up business?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I posted this before,probably on this site but when you need three different size wrenches to change an air filter element like I did on an L70 or L90 Volvo somebody needs to rethink things in my opinion.I really don't like any swedish equipment,you can't read any of the symbols on the switches in the cab,they are just unfriendly to work with.I have also run a lot of different things in 40+ years,getting tired.LOL.Ron G

I havn't run a lot of new Cat loaders because the guy I work for has not bought a new Cat since cat made the 966F because he gets other loaders for cheaper!
I can tell you that he has tried John deer Komatsu Volvo and Hyndui and the old 966 F will still work circles around the new loaders from these guys!

JD955SC

I believe that is what he was meaning, or flip forward for access. We have a 980G II that has an oil leak under the cab on a pump. When I look in the manual on removing this pump first step is "Remove Cab". Probably not as bad a job as it seems at first but if the cab would tilt forward say at 45º on a couple hyd. cylinders like the hood on our 980K would be nice. At our main shop we are lucky to have a 40 ton overhead crane so lifting it will not be a problem. If we had to do this out in the back woods it would be a different story!

Forward, sideways, just flip for trans, pumps or leaks

So long as it tilts plenty like a skidder or a early 953/63/73

It's probably be built to tilt like an artic though

HATCHEQUIP

I really don't give a crap just make it so that it can be serviced, maintained and repaired in a timely AND EFFICIENT MANNER without taking a act of congress. If the ********* engineers had to work on them after they had been out in the blood the mud and the beer. They might just might think a little bit, but no this nation "and some others" has become a throwaway nation. In part "equipment wise" to lobbyists, tree huggers and our fine political leaders and I dont mean just one group I mean ALL OF THEM. So they build something to last X amount of hours and then its to be ""recycled"" or sold to some other part of the world if its early enough like Es, Fs and some Gs as far as loaders, on graders they like Gs and Hs and they throw rocks or shoes at you if you were to mention a M. As far as say cranes the new ones are nice, and I mean nice PERIOD. Alot easier to work on, setups and teardowns are a breeze, nothing at all like the large older machines. But here again is this going to bite us in the *** in a few more years. Part of this is because the newer machines are so much lighter, but at what cost. the older machines could be rebuilt over and over again because the base machine was heavy and sturdy enough to take it, but now we are seeing that after a period of time the machine can not be rebuilt because of metal fatigue. From one of the very things that makes them so nice. But I digress tilt that damn cab where a fat boy can get in there, for that matter just tilt it enough for peewee "every bodies got one on the job somewhere" and well talk him thru it while he stands on his head and talks about that engineers family tree.

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
When I was still working, we leased a big Cat loader along with a crusher for a large concrete crushing project. The job took us 3 months and carried over into the winter season We always leased a loader for snow removal off of large shipping piers where car ships would deliver and unload 2000 new cars at a time. That Cat loader was a dream to run. Not sure what model it was, but decent size. I'm guessing maybe a 5 or 6 yard bucket. Joystick steering controls, backup camera, a/c, etc. In the crushing project, it dug well and was quite maneuverable. Snow removal was a breeze. No matter how much snow piled up in front of the bucket, you couldn't stop it. Visibility in blinding snow was fantastic. Of course, we never had to work on it because it was a lease, but I cannot remember a single breakdown or issue in the 6 months we had it. Running that Cat was like night and day compared to the Doosan that we usually leased.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I used to love Cat loaders. I've run everything from a 950 to a 992 right up to the newest series.
But then last year I ran a couple brand new Komatsu WA500's. I loved them. Good visibility, lots of power. They are super quiet in the cab. A couple times I had to look at the gauges to see if it was still running.
And I love having the steering wheel and joystick steering together.
The LED lighting package is awesome. And in all the time I was around them, no regen or emission system problems. Had the K and newer series Cat's shut down once or twice with issues.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I used to love Cat loaders. I've run everything from a 950 to a 992 right up to the newest series.
But then last year I ran a couple brand new Komatsu WA500's. I loved them. Good visibility, lots of power. They are super quiet in the cab. A couple times I had to look at the gauges to see if it was still running.
And I love having the steering wheel and joystick steering together.
The LED lighting package is awesome. And in all the time I was around them, no regen or emission system problems. Had the K and newer series Cat's shut down once or twice with issues.
We have a Volvo L45g and an L70g and the Regen system has been a pain. Got an L110h and they have gone to Def. So far so good. They got a new 980 M around the middle of the month, but it won't be turning a wheel until the snow is gone. I have not been near it, but I am assuming it to be Def as well.

pedrocar

Occupation
grader operator
Didnt think i would ever say it but Volvo are the loader to have. Cat havent built a decent loader since the F SERIES

RjMaan

Well i think the loader should be powerful, capable to do work for the longer period of time plus it should also be economical with almost no impact on environment.

drag1line

OK.......you said ULTIMATE???
Been around a while. Go back a few years. It was before it's time and too advanced for rope and shovel era. That time is gone.
Do a search for Bucyrus Erie, Model 60S.
5 yard loader that could out load 10 yard machines at 1/3 the fuel.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Koehring made something similar called the Scooper. It was fast but also heavy and needed all those joints to be greased all the time. They didn't catch on past a couple of specific uses.

YouBrokeWhat?

I'd say the ultimate loader would be brand new and have these features ;
An electric starter
Headlights
Mechanical stop lever
A mechanical joystick
A basic gauge package
Zero other electronic crap.
The day you can buy a loader that will run with just fuel and air will be a good day.