• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The things some people will do...

DIYDAVE

For a few government bucks, to buy a new tractor...

He will prolly regret this, when he sees how expensive it is, to repair one of those fancy DEF equipped new tractors...

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Wow is all I can say I would of bought that tractor off of him so it didn't get wrecked should of just pulled the engine and punched a hole in the block and repowered it

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
He is probably the one voting for more emission regs. What an idiot. Those are great little tractors.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
When his computer controlled engine takes a dump on him in the middle of harvest and the dealer is a week out, he might rethink this.
Good enough for him.

Buickspec6231

Programs like the one he described and the stupid cash for clunkers incentive are a terrible idea. Lots of good running older equipment/vehicles get destroyed for what people claim is to improve our environment. All it really does is put $$$ in to the hands of the manufacturers and lobbyists. I still feel that keeping an older machine running is better for the environment than scraping it and all the waste along with it and the g-dang "carbon footprint" of manufacturing an entire new machine.

hosspuller

I wonder how the California program works.
Maybe it's run like the gun buy-backs. Screw the taxpayers.

Should have stripped the front weights off before scrapping it. There were a lot of parts to be sold... like the IP even as a core would be a $$$

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
That buy back program is a joke I heard they were taking perfectly good semis with lots of life left in them and punching holes in the blocks so you couldn't buy it and use it or they sent them to Mexico

Hobbytime

ok first a joke, he should have brought that tractor to Zeigler cat dealership for repair if he wanted the engine to blow up...;)
what else would you expect from someone in california.. when I was in high school in the early 80s I worked at a chevrolet dealer and we had to blow up a celebrity( model of car) 4 cylinder gas engine as it was approved for a warranty replacement for a blown engine, but the engine just had a knock and was still running, well after draining the oil. and antifreeze and running full throttle for 20 minutes the cat converter heated up so much the carpet inside started burning, so we put anything you could find down the throttle body, such as brake rotor grindings, different shop chemicals to try and seize the motor, finally we had to cut through the oil pan and loosen rod bolts and it still ran till we unbolted a rod to let loose, I was amazed at the abuse that engine took and did not fail till we unbolted a rod....

Wes J

It's way of the world, or at least of America. We get emotionally attached to machines, but in reality they are just tools. We can't save them all.

I see things like stamping presses and press brakes in scrap yards all the time that are in perfectly good working order. It costs more the retrofit them with new OSHA approved safety equipment than it does to just buy a whole new machine.

Someone will come up with a decent aftermarket emission system for these old tractors, but it's not here yet.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I looked into retrofitting any kind of system to change the exhaust years ago for a gray market dealer. What I was told was the the entry price to have it checked out and certified for operation was $10 million dollars. Engines using a system would have to be submitted to a testing authority who would test and certify that the system met all emissions regulations that all kinds of different scenarios. At that time the University of Michigan put together the programs under the control of the EPA. Basically they said we were not going to be allowed into the game.

After all that I figured the process was rigged so that only the manufacturers would be allowed to play this hand. So unless you have Bill Gates or Warren Buffet backing you, no one will be allowed to produce something outside of the original manufacturer's control.

td25c

I wonder how the California program works.

The California program is simple . Send us more money .......

No disrespect to any Californian members on the forum ...

Sister moved out there in the late 1990's . Man I tell ya what !

You don't want to know how much Indiana money has went out that direction to keep them floating with no return or progress . Loose a house , get deeper in debt . Enough is enough with the stupid ideas & decisions ........ Only so much water in the well .

Time to shut the cash valve off & move sister back home . ;)

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
He is probably the one voting for more emission regs. What an idiot. Those are great little tractors.

In California you sell them to be destroyed for tax credits. They are not allowed to be used in any event. A friend bought a rare JD high crop from her employer to keep it from getting scrapped. It cost her about six months pay and can only be used for educational antique shows.

Truck Shop

That depended on what was under the hood for power and which brand and type of transmission plus rear drives those trucks had. Being fleet spec'ed they were
probably bast@rd. Better there not on the market. Although it would have been fun watching the front half hit the ground after the burn.:eek:

Truck Shop