• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The suck bucket

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nice solution Atco. I'm glad the suck bucket topic came up again, as I had to rig up one last week. The maintenance program I'm in sold an old power hacksaw where the coolant tank was built in and it needed to be drained. Problem was, no drain plug, which was odd. So, I copied your idea with a slight twist. I had some 5/8" clear hose with a female garden hose end, so I drilled a hole slightly larger than a 5/8" male end hose barb, and pushed it into the lid. Screwed the female end on and went happily sucked out 12 gals. of coolant. Thanks for the tip.

LoL, that rocks truckfan. You fellas are free to modify the idea as it suits your needs, but there's no doubt the suck bucket is a useful tool no matter how it's arranged. I was talking to another member today about one time one of my grandkids got something stuck in the toilet at home, had to remove toilet. I brought home the suck bucket and used it and shop vac to drain the bowl. Very useful tool. :tong

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I have built that works great for oil changes and random suckcking jobs out of a vacume pump out of a fridge and a large 30 gallon tank, i put oil quick connections on my machines that this will hook up to and suck out of, when the tank gets full i hook a air line up to it and push the oil back through and out to the used oil burner tank. Thats where you should go with this one ATCO

ddiiggy

That's when it dawned on me what has happened. The front wheels are on blocks, the oil fill is on end of valve cover toward front of machine, and the crankcase vent is on the side of the valve cover about midways, meaning, oil fill was higher than crankcase vent. Crankcase vent hose goes to...you guessed it, the intake manifold. You know where it goes from there. Yep, oil goes right down into the cylinders when they tried to crank it, so it's now hydrolocked. I looked at Thing 1 and said "this is the first time I've seen an engine locked up from doing an oil change". Just damn.
It could have been worse.
He could have found another orifice to pour all of the new oil into (or forgot to put the plug back in...) and fired it up. :eek:

renegade

Occupation
union laborer local 1097
Wow, I can't wait to make a suck bucket. I have at least 4 things I know I can use it for. Very nice and thanks for the insight.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
or do like my helper did and pour the oil into the inlet for the airfilter...

LOL, well, you don't even want to know what Thing 1 did with a 2" contractors pump yesterday. Didn't even bother using the suck bucket on that one. :tong

Dualie

I actually got to use a legit pro suck bucket today. It was air powered and worked like a charm. I was thinking of picking one up till he told me the CFM demands and the price of $350 I think your suck bucket with a shop vac is a much better setup.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I actually got to use a legit pro suck bucket today. It was air powered and worked like a charm. I was thinking of picking one up till he told me the CFM demands and the price of $350 I think your suck bucket with a shop vac is a much better setup.

Wow!

And a helluva lot cheaper! :yup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
My project for today; removing the swing gearbox from a 320BL. It appears the seal on the output shaft of gearbox is failing and is leaking gear oil inside the rotate bearing housing.

320BL swing gearbox 001.jpg

This sometimes causes the machine to leach black goo out of the rotation bearing, gear oil washing the grease out of rotation bearing.

320BL swing gearbox 002.jpg

Ha! You're mine now!

320BL swing gearbox 004.jpg

Yep, there's a bit of oil standing in the base of the rotate housing.

320BL swing gearbox 005.jpg

No worries...Suck Bucket! ;)

320BL swing gearbox 006.jpg

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Do you think it would it work to suck up that big grease pile under the bucket Atco? Maybe I could use it to change the grease out in a swing gear.

Oh, any chance of some pics on how you replace the seal?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well Rob, what it will draw depends on hose size, but a pile of just grease, hmmm, that might be tough. LoL

I did suck up some gobs of oily grease inside the rotation housing with no problems. The beauty of it is all this nasty stuff goes in the bucket, none in the shop vac. ;)

Replacing the seal; I just might take some pics of the process to give others some idea of what it's like if they're thinking about tearing into theirs. :cool:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Well I'm gonna have to build one an see. I guess it could be used around the shop for other things too...:D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well I'm gonna have to build one an see. I guess it could be used around the shop for other things too...:D

Yup, that's why I'm posting these pics rob, to show others the possible applications. :cool:

Coondog

Very innovative. And almost all of your posts Showing us how you use it could be turned directly into infomercials. Not only are you an innovator you are also a good showcaser. I do believe I will have to utilize this method. I do not have a certain purpose in mind yet. But I will be on the look out for sure.

RNI Excavate

I made one of these last night. It made the task of changing the chaincase oil in my bobcat much easier. Just a tip for anyone doing the same, jack up the rear of the machine so all the oil runs to the front.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
:notworthy. Just one thing to say to you Willie ..... I Love You Man !!!!!:notworthy. You are the suck bucket guru ! Wish I had seen this along tome ago !