1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The old Worthington:

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by 1693TA, Nov 16, 2019.

1. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    Decided to bring my old 1962 Worthington "Blue Brute" compressor in for some routine maintenance today including an oil change and full tune up. I installed the new plugs, points, condenser, (capacitor) rotor, and bead blasted the cap internals. The engine started right up and ran very well so I snapped this photo with the engine running about 850 rpm as per the pneumatic governor control:

upload_2019-11-15_20-22-24.jpeg

All normal at this instant. No sooner had I got my phone back into the holster on my side I heard an audible "Pop" from the compressor. Having not moved a step I grabbed the ignition switch and flipped it to off just as I seen a pool of oil growing around my feet.

Turns out the main supply line for the compressor section ruptured and it quickly let go of several gallons of oil it contained:

upload_2019-11-15_20-26-8.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-15_20-27-45.jpeg

Given the compressor was right over my trench drain which I'd just cleaned and washed last month, I grabbed a bag of oil dry and dumped it downstream of where the oil was running to dam it up. I then threw down a lot of oil dry to start soaking it up. I was going to change this oil anyway, just wished it could have been just a bit more controlled.

I did get the engine oil changed with a new filter to no fanfare so didn't photo any of that. I'd had the radiator repaired last fall and the coolant mixture is fresh and full so did not mess with that.

2. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Continuing:

Got to digging in the shop and found a section of 1" R-17 hose and fittings so will make up all new hoses tomorrow. When the radiator was out last fall I'd built up two new hoses while it was apart but didn't have the proper fittings to do the one that burst today.

upload_2019-11-15_20-35-21.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-15_20-35-44.jpeg

Prior to tuning the engine, I'd decided to have a looksee in the fuel tank. It is amazing what people store in these things apparently. Photo is looking down through the filler hole:

upload_2019-11-15_20-37-59.jpeg

After fishing with a magnet and vice grips:

upload_2019-11-15_20-38-59.jpeg

No idea how long those have been in there.

3. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

The old compressor is still dripping oil from the frame rails. Surely not going to rust now..... Going to have to pressure wash the thing clean I'm thinking.
    The line that ruptured is the supply line to the oil filter and is pressurized at discharge pressure which is 100psi. It originates at the lowest portion of the oil reservoir which is just shy of 14 gallons capacity. Air pressure inside the vessel actually "pushes" the oil from the reservoir, through the filtration, then the aftercooler, then on to the compressor section. Regardless the entire path is pressurized at the 100psi setting and when that line ruptured it got rid of a lot of oil on short order. I've used about 60# of oil dry so far and just shoveled and broomed up a new application this morning.

4. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Good thing it happened when you were standing there not in a blast hood she would have been done by the time you got it shut down

5. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Got to looking at the manual tonight and the only shutdown sensor installed is for air discharge temperature. Nothing for oil level on either the engine or compressor. Given the compressor section uses a large line it would seem to reason it would have destoyed itself on short order had I not as you say been "standing there". Nothing should be hurt as it didn't run but about three seconds before it was switched off.

6. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Think I'm going to route one of the oil lines a little different path to be secured from abrasion. I'll need to purchase a 1" female JIC swivel as don't have one on hand but will be in Peoria tomorrow and will stop at a hydraulics vendor. .

7. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Peoria did not have fittings to work with my crimper setup at either of the two hydraulics shops I've used in the past prior to purchasing my machine. Either could make a hose up but that costs a bit more than I can do it in house for. I then called an online supplier I've used for years and the fittings along with some depleted stock will be here on Friday. Need to round up three five gallon pails of SAE 10W non detergent engine oil also for the compressor section. Surprisingly, that is not a locally available product any longer. Don't know if a guy could run AW32 hydraulic oil or not, but the manual specifically states SAE10W non detergent motor oil. I've got a good contact at Worthington and will speak with him today to ascertain which way to go.

Once I get it all buttoned up and back together I'll hang it from the gantry and pressure wash the snot out of it underneath.

8. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Looked in the manual and they say this compressor assembly weights 4375# dry. Of course it has about 20 gallon of gasoline in it, seven quarts of oil, 4.5 gallons of engine coolant as normal. I have the end panels off as they were bent up when I purchased the compressor and I've not worked with them yet, but this photo as shown has to be about 4400# and the gantry did not struggle:

upload_2019-11-19_11-8-31.jpeg

Pretty greasy on the underside and this will be a great way to clean it up prior to a nice repaint.

9. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Needing to run to the oil supplier for the compressor oil this afternoon. The manual for the compressor section calls for SAE-10 non detergent oil. I assume they are referencing engine oil. This is not a rotary screw design, but rather a vane type compressor so planning to stay with the original type oil. It doesn't put any oil in the output air and any condensate readily drains from the trap so it must work alright.

I've looked into using AW32 hydraulic oil but that is really not recommended citing the additive packages to the base oil. SAE-10, and SAE-10W aren't that readily available around here any longer but can be ordered I've found. I did order three five gallon pails for this job and it should be here today, as will the hydraulic fittings to button it up.

Wanting to get this wrapped so I can move to my water truck oil cooler issue.

10. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Received the fittings today and laid out the lines but got no further. The oil did not show up as it was coming from a different warehouse than ordered from? Oh well. Tomorrow I'll get the hoses crimped and tied in permanent and they should outlast me.

I removed the former reusable fittings from the original lines after measuring them. The hose readily collapsed under the prying of a narrow screwdriver being so old and brittle. Into the solvent tank they went and low and behold they cleaned up looking almost new. I'll throw them in the basket blaster and clean them up further but they are ready to be reinstalled onto fresh hose now.

11. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    That’s a heckuva gantry. I need one like that. It’s on my list of things to do. At this rate I’ll need to live to a 150 to do them all....or stop chasing drill rigs all over the place!

old-iron-habit likes this.
  12. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Thanks. I looked for quite some time till finding this one from a manufacturer whom built an addition and installed a bridge crane eliminating the need for this. They don't come around often but I put "dibs" on this one four years prior to their addition becoming functional.

I can lower this one about six feet from where it is now, and elevate it about two more, but it won't go under my lights if higher.

Know what you mean about the projects. I've got stuff to do I've long forgotten about.....

13. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Got the new hoses strung this morning. Kinda stiff stuff using 100R17 hose which has a 1/2 bend radius of 100R2 hose. 1" hose is stiff any way you look at it.

I was not able to run the hose the way I'd envisioned but did improve upon the original routing. Given the compressor was built in 1962 and the original hoses were the same spray painted color, (blue) from the manufacturer, I'd say they were original and these should outlast me.

Here are a couple photos. this first is the thermal mixing valve which keeps the lubricating oil near constant in temperature, and the compressor oil filter assembly:

upload_2019-11-22_12-58-28.jpeg

This is the other end that is the supply from the sump:

upload_2019-11-22_13-0-35.jpeg

I routed both hoses on top of the axle beam where the originals were one over, one under:

upload_2019-11-22_13-3-3.jpeg

Nice to be able to do this in the shop as the $$$ are so much less than the hydraulic shop would charge.

Found this while the compressor was "hanging":

upload_2019-11-22_13-4-54.jpeg

I'll pull this Ubolt off the unit and get four new ones made.

14. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

This is another project I'll be working with. It is a vacuum pump, not an air compressor. I purchased this over a dozen years ago after a guy gave me a former anhydrous tank for retrieving waste engine oil to use in my boiler. I was going to mount it up on the tank and power the pump with a Briggs "Vanguard" engine but never got around to it.....

upload_2019-11-22_13-21-5.jpeg

upload_2019-11-22_13-21-19.jpeg

In the second photo one can see an electrical switch which cycles on vacuum. This could be used to control an electric clutch on the engine cycling the main pump although I understand the pump can run against it's maximum capacity unaffected; just consumes more power.

15. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Just under 14 gallons of oil in total and the reservoir gauge is well into the green but does not go to overfull when the oil warms so calling it good.