1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

The old cat 988b clearing land for new fencelines on the cattle station in Australia.

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by ajginger, Sep 6, 2020.

1. ajginger

ajginger Well-Known Member

Pixie, CM1995, DB2 and 6 others like this.
  2. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    That's kind of a novel use for the old machine. Nice work with the video editing as well.

ajginger and 56wrench like this.
  3. Tags

Tags Senior Member

Nice video, love the angle with the camera mounted on the bucket!

ajginger likes this.
  4. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Nice work with that loader. Just a bit scary with those dead snags.It cost me a broken window in my loader doing that. A wheel loader is such a handy piece of equipment for much more than loading trucks.

DMiller and ajginger like this.
  5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    And when you put it in high gear it sure moves faster than the 988B's we had at the quarry!:eek:

By the way do you ever get rain there? Sure looks dry and if this is a cattle ranch what do they eat, don't look like anything growing there, other than dead or soon to be dead trees and brush!

DMiller likes this.
  6. ajginger

Yes I imagine thats how the windscreen glass was broken by a previous owner.
    If you just let her roll into a tree, the sheer weight causes the tree to explode with limbs and bits of wood coming down over the cab.

If I were to do a lot of this kind of work with it, I would try to get a 25 foot long stickrake for it and build a scrub screen for the cab.

DMiller likes this.
  7. ajginger

In this part of Australia we get rain on and off at the start of the year from Jan - end of march ( wet season ) then its common to go 5-8 months at a time with no rain so things get quite dry.

All the woody vegitation that grow here is well adapted to dry climate and can go years without much rain. The cattle actually do quite well out here but you need plenty of land for them. This property is around 80,000 acres ( 125 square miles ) and can safely carry around 2000 - 2,500 head of cattle depending on the season.

There is grass but the trees/scrub stops it growing unless it is thinned out.

DMiller likes this.
  8. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

I load about 5yards of brush on the forks of my 910 and pack it to the burn pile. I had a small stump roll off and back down the boom onto my windshield , but still havent built some jailhouse bars yet just being more careful. Gotta break 2 or 3 windshields to smarten up.

ajginger likes this.
  9. ajginger

Yes an Endloader is a ' Jack of all trades ' type of machine once it gets purchased by someone on a cattle operation.

Delmer likes this.
  10. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Was not having any luck finding statistics of beef cattle per acreage here in NY best I could come up with was from Iowa, that said 2.5 acres per cow average a bit more than your 2,500 on 80,000 acres!

11. ajginger

Yes there are a couple of areas of Australia that enough rain falls to do 2-4 acres/cow, but most of Australia is very dry climate. A lot of the ' dry climate ' improved pasture beef production areas can average around 10-20 acres / cow, but on this property we are not allowed to make those improvements to the land so need a larger area of around 40 acres/cow.

If we were to thin out the overgrown tree/shrub population to traditional levels here, ( the same as when euopeans settled ), we would immediatly increase production to 10-15 acres/cow thus be able to run around 5,000 - 6,000 head of cattle most years. The Government wont allow any thinning of tree/shrub populations for this area now so each decade sees less grass and more trees/shrubs and more bare & eroding soils.
    ( these trees kill off the grasses)

The pic shows the kind of ' tree invasion ' that happens if these dryland species are not managed.
    In the first pic ... you can see the open savannah grasslands that existed when white settlement came to this part of the world. This was how the land looked over most of inland Australia before the trees were allowed to grow uncontrolled.
    The native populations of aboriginal people activly used fire to keep the woody plants from taking over
    20190910_150931.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Pixie and DB2 like this.
  12. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

With that little rain do the dairy cows just give powered milk! Always wondered where that comes from.

ajginger and Tones like this.
  13. Theweldor

Theweldor Senior Member

And.... Government is here to help you.

14. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Got electons coming up so it all change again

15. .RC.

.RC. Well-Known Member

I do not like to swear or call names, but I do hope the fucking dumb bitch gets voted out of government.

Tones likes this.
  16. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    A lot of properties had dozers chaining country like that when the moratorium was in place prior the landclearing laws being changed in the late 90's. Anything that grew after that wasn't remnant vegetation