1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

The most entertaining "school me"thread... My 1st piece of H.E. Two 80ton Hoes

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by douglasco, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Senior Member

Thanks for bumping this again Shimmy1, I had not seen it before.

Common sense, or uncommon.

Thought that comes to mind is that there is a reason that Swiss watch makers don't use a 5lb. hammer and cold chisel in their trade.

More power to you Douglasco!

2. Skoop

Skoop Member

I would REALLY like to see the aftermath of this. My kinda guy. The main reason I built a 3800 sq ft home with my own two hands when I was 25 was because everyone told me I couldn't. That's what America needs more of............the "hold my beer and watch this!" kind of attitude! Hats off to you Douglasco! Git 'er dunn!!

3. sawdustmaker

sawdustmaker Well-Known Member

I guess you could use a Hytorq to loosen your lug nuts...

I Laughed too much at this not to bump.

Im a little jealous, i really couldnt use a hoe that size with the clay here unless it was super super dry. I mean my 25 ton hoe is already overkill. Its just be super sick to own a fuel sucking pig like those.

I do have to disagree with some of the more experienced on one thing. While I do agree playing "golf" is really bad for machines, that is usually because you are putting the couterweight's inertia into stress on the boom and arm. But he has no counterweight besides the house mass of course. Hes not putting 1000s of hours on it either. let him work.

4. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I wish I could like this post twice! I was in this when it was happening, this was a fantastic summary and prediction!

Shimmy1 likes this.
  5. delectric123

delectric123 Well-Known Member

So nobody has found out the outcome yet?

6. Terrh

Terrh Member

Best thread on this forum by far.

I thought I was crazy for buying a pair of mini's and a skid steer with no experience!

7. Clawed Backster

Clawed Backster Senior Member

I've got a 63,000 pound wheel dozer that I use around my place. Extreme overkill for anything I need to do, but I love it! No, it doesn't compare to his shovels, but similar concept.
    And yeah, I got it for cheap.
    Huge stuff is cool.

hseII likes this.
  8. sillej

sillej Active Member

Computer Geek
    Post some pictures please.

9. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I really wanted to figure out what became of the original guy in this thread. It did not seem like it would be too hard for someone on this forum to figure out where the property was and go over there and see what is going on.

10. Clawed Backster

Here are a couple poor pictures I had on my phone. It's an old Michigan 280. 8V71N for power. 20220311_142106.jpg 20190901_123807.jpg

11. sillej

sillej Active Member

Computer Geek
    skyking1 and Clawed Backster like this.
  12. Clawed Backster

Right now I am looking for a small cheap grader to keep my driveway in shape. Something like an old Deere 570 would be perfect. However, I certainly wouldn't refuse to consider a larger machine, if one became available at a good price. I wouldn't even turn down something absurdly large like a Cat 24. I would look at it as a challenge (grading a small 2,200' driveway with a huge machine), and sort of an adventure.
    Sometimes a good deal can be had on something like that, simply because most other people wouldn't even consider it, and if it is an older machine, most businesses aren't interested.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  13. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

A local cat skinner said those old rubber tired dozers could bury a track dozer of similar size on stock pile work, mostly because of the faster reverse speed.

14. Clawed Backster

And I can drive up and down my driveway without damaging it, unlike a tracked dozer.
    I can also head down the county road to the neighbors place if I want to.
    And yeah, it will go a lot faster than I am comfortable driving it. Lol

15. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

So, do trees just fall over from fear when you approach them with that dozer? If I had a dozer like that, I'd be out pushing trees over and flattening my hills.

16. Clawed Backster

The blade will lift up pretty high. I'd say that the cutting edge will get about 4-4.5 feet up, so yeah, when pushing that high on a tree it's easy to push over some really big ones.

17. Clawed Backster

The little woman has given me an assignment to remove a Douglas fir stump, and a couple of maple trees, as well as moving probably 30 yards of hard packed dirt. I could do it with my backhoe, but it would be a tall order for the old well worn machine. It should be a quick and relatively easy task for the dozer. Maybe I will get my daughter to film the operation and put it on YouTube, as long as everyone agrees that no actual dozer operators will watch it.

skadill, aighead and colson04 like this.
  18. aighead

aighead Senior Member

I just tried to find douglasco, in Douglas, CO, as I figured it'd be pretty easy to find his place, especially with 2 giant machines on the property but I didn't have any luck. 'Tis a shame, I'd also like an update.

I'm pretty sure @douglasco and @Spud_Monkey , working together, could reverse the rotation of the Earth.

hseII and JPV like this.
  19. Clawed Backster

Did you ask any of the locals?
    Of course if you were talking to city folks, you would probably have to refer to him as the guy with two big "bulldozers", or big "dirt digging thingys"

aighead likes this.
  20. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Haha! Oh, no! I forgot to mention I was just on Google Maps!

hseII likes this.