• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Loggers Library

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Actualy most of theys books are still available though BCFP's First growth was handed out to emploee's around 1977 , I have my fathers copy Last Wooden Spar by Hoares Aurthers was purchased from the Sooke Museum (H A also built a model of the Bear Cr. Tresel on display there ). Ken Hallberg"s book is available through his son Ken Jr. or family members .Gord Barney's books are avaible off him he lives in Ladysmith or some book stores Black Smoke and Timber is sold at Cowican Lake Museum . Joe Garners books are still available at some book stores as are Richard Mackies I have Found Volume One Book store in Duncan always helpfull.If you have question the TFLs or Forest polices in BC Three Men and a Forester is an interresting read .

Last edited:

forester

A few more for you plus some duplicates cited above. If you want more details on any titles let me know

Alberta:
Mountain Trails: Memoirs of an Alberta Forest Ranger in the mountains and foothills fo the Athabasca Forest 1920-1945 - Jack Glenn Sr.
My life story: Prarie Chicken to Bush Ape - Cecil Weber
Fire Lookout Hikes in teh Canadian Rockies - Mike Potter
The Alberta Forest Service 1930-2005 : Protection and Management of Alberta's Forests - P. Murphy et. al.
Voices in the Forest : How forestry shaped the Lesser Slave Lake Region - Joe McWilliams
If Moose Could Only Talk : Stories from the Candaian Rockies in the early days of the Alberta Forest Service - Neil Gillait
Watch over the forest : Stories of the Alberta Forest Service and life in forest communities - Niel Gilliat
Learning From the Forest : a 50 year journey towards Suistanable Forest Managemet - Peter Murphy
Park Prisoners : the untold story of Western Canada's National Parks 1915-1946 - Bill Waiser
Heritage Trees of Alberta - Heritage Tree Foundation of Canada
A Hard Road to Travel : Land Forests, and people in the Upper Athabasca Region - Udell

BC:
Loggers of the BC Coast - Hans knapp
Bullwhackers to Whistle Punks - Ted Nelson
Down the Hill" the story of early logging in the pacific northwest - Rey E. Stier
In the Bight : The BC Forest Industry Today - Ken Drushka

Ontario:
Paper and People: An illustrated history of the Great Lakes Paper and its successors 1919-1999 - Thunder Bay Historical Association
Parry Sound Logging Days - John Macfie
The Lumberjacks - Donald MacKay (note this is a great eastern Canada reference to bush operations)
Timber Baron - GEorge H. Glass
Bush Camp Stories I cuold tell you - Linda Turk
Timber Wolves: Greed and Corruption in teh Northwest Ontario Timber Industry 1875-1960 - JP Bertrand
Broad Axe to Flying Shear : The Mechanization of Forest Harvesting east of the Rockies - C. Ross Silversides

England:
Falling For it: The Apprenticeship - Geoff Sortees

other:
Traditions through the trees : Weyerhaeuser's first 100 years - Joni Sensel
Timber : from the forest to its use in commerce - William Bullock
Lumberjack Larry: memoirs of larry gladney clarenville

winterax

Just finished reading "Eating Dirt " by Charlotte Gille. Its about tree planters on the West Coast, really good read.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Black Smoke and Timber is a history of the major rail roads on Vancouver Island and their contribution to the early Forest Industry on the East side of the Island .
Rails to Roads and the Million Dollar Camp , The Story of Gordon River , is a history , starting in 1922 with McDonald and Murphy Logging Co. in the head waters of the Gordon River , and ending in 1981 as WFI ( Western Forest Industries ) . Both books were written by Bill Gibson and are available at Lake Cowichan's .
Kaatza Museum & Archives ( 250 ) 749-6142IMG 3251 resize.jpgIMG 3252 resize.jpgIMG 3253.jpgIMG 3254.jpg
P.O. Box 135
125 South Shore Road
Lake Cowichan ,BC , Canada
V0R 2G0