• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The job you put off

Old Doug

I think i have been adding coolant for more than 4 years to my Ford because it had a leak out the back off one head. The last 3 summers i add water thinking that winter i would fix it then winter came and i had to refill with antifreeze. Sunday i got the shop cleaned out it fit with room to spare. It has one of those engines that there is no way to tell what size it is until its apart. I got one head off tonight and its a 330 if i force my self i could have it back together buy the weekend.

Old Doug

I got the other head off tonight and was going to start cleaning parts but the shop is cold and i am worn out. picture (53).pngBefore i put this engine in i cleaned it and painted it. It looked great but it leaked coolant like no other from every were new hose leaked were they went on pipethreaded parts leaked i fixed a leak every time i used it. The head was also leaking and i didnt know until i got the other leaks fixed.The coolant striped the ford blue off like paint stripper.

Old Doug

It took a week longer than i thought and i fixed some other small problems. The shop is down a hill and the lane is covered in ice so i left it tn there. I backed it out of the shop today thinking i would leave it setting in front of the shop but it didnt have any problem with the snow and ice. Now i can start another put off project.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well the one I really need to get my butt in gear on is figuring out why the Sportster decided to puke out 90% of the trany lube on the last ride of the year! We stopped for dinner and that"s when I saw all the oil on the back of the bike. Checked engine oil and it was still on the stick and as we only had about 3 miles to home decided to take it easy with ear plugs out to be sure I could hear any strange noises.

Got home and washed it off good and parked it hoping for some ambition to look into it. Check engine oil cold and it was very close to where I normally run it. That's when I thought to top off the trany and found it took almost a quart to fill it and max capacity is 40 oz. of oil!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I think i have been adding coolant for more than 4 years to my Ford because it had a leak out the back off one head. The last 3 summers i add water thinking that winter i would fix it then winter came and i had to refill with antifreeze. Sunday i got the shop cleaned out it fit with room to spare. It has one of those engines that there is no way to tell what size it is until its apart. I got one head off tonight and its a 330 if i force my self i could have it back together buy the weekend.

worst part of that job is the intake manifold that weighs about 150lbs. Hope you have an overhead crane. :)

Old Doug

worst part of that job is the intake manifold that weighs about 150lbs. Hope you have an overhead crane. :)[/QUOTE No but i was realy thinking about building a gantry crane before i started on it. Its hard to belive they put basicly the same engine in a mustang its a monster.

Old Doug

my Dakota is leaking coolant now i thought it was the thermostat housing but its the intake. my other pickup had a brake dragging and its needs a engine swap but it is steal running.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Not bad I switched out a few dashboards or taken them out a few vehicles, just remember they build them to go in as one piece with wiring and all.
Did something myself I didn't take pictures of today, flipped the tire around on the Ford 4500 backhoe the PO put on wrong. Didn't realize how much weight was on the wheel weights on the back wheel, wheel came off and went crazy, crushed a tool box and destroyed my 1/2" impact. There went a few hundred bucks... Got it flipped around just waiting till morning to put tube back in and put other bead over the rim, it fought me whole way even with dish soap and Vaseline.

suladas

That picture looks fun! I was about to do that to my old truck until it got stolen, also needed turbo replaced. But by me putting off both I ended up not having to do either. So sometimes procrastination has it's benefits.

petepilot

Not bad I switched out a few dashboards or taken them out a few vehicles, just remember they build them to go in as one piece with wiring and all.
Did something myself I didn't take pictures of today, flipped the tire around on the Ford 4500 backhoe the PO put on wrong. Didn't realize how much weight was on the wheel weights on the back wheel, wheel came off and went crazy, crushed a tool box and destroyed my 1/2" impact. There went a few hundred bucks... Got it flipped around just waiting till morning to put tube back in and put other bead over the rim, it fought me whole way even with dish soap and Vaseline.
if you get into any more of those have some way of holding it so you can control it. those are usually more than one guy can handle. glad it didn`t git on you

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Allis 180 farm tractor needs split and PTO Shaft seal replaced to stop hyd oil entering trans/final housing, that and needs engine overhaul, needed since bought some twelve years back!!! MAYBE once KW is complete will be time.