• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

od1

Occupation
Marketing heayy equipment
I have a question about the disassembly of the pilot components of the valves. Are there any parts that are under pressure or sprung when I open it?
I've taken valve assemblies apart before and had them shoot out at me and left me guessing which way they go back together.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I heard that the only difference was the cable lenth.
The Racine used a shorter lenth for the 16 awg X 24.

They may be the same. I'm only saying there's a difference between Racine and Bertea valves. But, as OFF said in post #53, and as I've said, I think the terminal connections are the same for the 16/24 cable between the two valve setups. I just can't say that for certain. :)

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I heard that the only difference was the cable lenth.
The Racine used a shorter lenth for the 16 awg X 24.

Our 40F's were all Racine porps but I can't see there being a difference in cable length. Main panel is in the same position on the machine, right? That's where the boom wiring terminates. :beatsme

I found another 40F bill of material that called for an even shorter cable but I discounted it. Better to error long than error short :D

od1

Occupation
I contacted a place a while back who was offering a wiring harness for the 40F. They told me there were two lengths. It’s either 65 feet or 80 feet, depending on the valves used. I asked her if I could email her a picture of the valves and maybe someone there could tell me. She said that know one there would know and suggested I go for the longer length to be safe, but @ 16.00 per foot that extra 15 feet is 140.00. Luckily I found some cable for 10.00 less.
It seems that the more time I spend working on this thing the easer it all starts to look. No computer, it’s all just hardwired. If I could just get the boom rewired and re lined, I’d then know where I’d stand with this thing. Every time I start it up it’s got another new problem. The latest is it only moves in reverse. I switched controllers and it still does the same thing. Maybe it’s a broken wire or ground who knows? There are so many exposed wires under there. I thought if I start with the electrical which I know is a mess maybe it’ll end there. If not I’d know where to go next. A kind of reverse engineering. The great thing about this unit is its simplicity, and it’s built to last another 30 yrs. The more you two guys talk the more I see and hear. It’s pretty cool. I think it’s an excellent way to learn. I really appreciate your input.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
odd1, keep things simple about your cable length. Just remove your old cable using the procedure I mentioned in post #18. Yes, your machine will be down until cable is replaced, but it sounds like your machine is not trustworthy to run right now anyway. Your problem can be in the servo coil of the Bertea valve section, but you can't say for sure until you get good proper wiring between platform and lower components. Good wiring is very important with these valves. ;)

od1

Occupation
That’s good advice for sure. I’m going to take it.
The reason that I want to know all of the lengths, etc. is so while I’m waiting, I can locate a good deal on the hose. When I start the teardown all I’ll have to do is lay out the hose next to the old one and cut it for the best fit. I thought I’d label it and cut off the old connection and tape it to the new hose. I’d then bring it to a local hose place near me and have them press on the new ends.
Someone told me that the ends of the threads might be tapered and if so stay away from them. They have a tendency to leak. Is this true? Does that make sense?
The wiring is the weakest link on this 40F for sure. I hear you.

od1

Occupation
Very busy day at work today guys, never even got near the printer to check out scanning in those schematics:mad:

od1, here's that tracked machine you mentioned

http://www.machineryjunction.com/user_images/91201317675388207.jpg

Hey Off
That's it. That's the same picture I saw. Glad you found it. I thought it steered by locking up the brakes on one side at a time. I thought that because when I was a kid I had an old VW and I rigged the emergency brake with 2 handles. I could literally turn it on a dime.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Someone told me that the ends of the threads might be tapered and if so stay away from them. They have a tendency to leak. Is this true? Does that make sense?

Not sure what that means. If I remember, the 40F used mostly pipe thread fittings. Don't know of many variations of pipe thread. JLG started using JIC fittings on later models, but to change your fittings over to JIC would be costly.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hey Off
That's it. That's the same picture I saw. Glad you found it. I thought it steered by locking up the brakes on one side at a time. I thought that because when I was a kid I had an old VW and I rigged the emergency brake with 2 handles. I could literally turn it on a dime.

Locking a brake would do the trick alright.
To me, that machine looks like a 50F, not a 40. What a jem huh?
And they only want $14K for it :laugh

Last edited:

od1

Occupation
Hi again ATCO
I get a news letter from this guy Brendan Casey.
Author of 'Insider Secrets to Hydraulics';
'Preventing Hydraulic Failures' and’ Advanced Hydraulic Control'.

He mentioned a while back that tapered hose connections are a source of lines leaking. I thought he meant that the connector was tapered. Maybe I got it wrong.

od1

Occupation
Hey OFF
As crazy as that price might be I contacted a guy who sold a 40F last year for 15,000. He said it was in perfect condition.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi again ATCO
I get a news letter from this guy Brendan Casey.
Author of 'Insider Secrets to Hydraulics';
'Preventing Hydraulic Failures' and’ Advanced Hydraulic Control'.

He mentioned a while back that tapered hose connections are a source of lines leaking. I thought he meant that the connector was tapered. Maybe I got it wrong.

Yep, I've read articles by Casey. Not entirely sure what he's referring to as source of leak. I'm near certain the 40F used mostly pipe thread fittings, which is a tapered fitting, that is, the threads are tapered. In later models, JLG switched to JIC 37 degree flare fittings, which have a 37 degree taper on the male fitting and 37 degree flare on the mating female fitting. Again, taper. I will tell you this; on your machine, you'll find a number of hose connections, such as at the valves, that have a male pipe fitting on the hose, and it connects to a female swivel fitting on the valve. This connection does not require pipe thread sealant such as pipe tape or pipe dope. The seal is actually done on the inside of the fitting, not the threads. The only time you would use pipe sealant would be where a male fitting fits into a threaded female hole. If it's a female swivel fitting, no sealant. ;)

od1

Occupation
I'll try and look it up. I saved all of his emails to me.
That info. is great to have. Thanks.

od1

Occupation
This is a question for anyone out there.
I have 65 feet of PARFLEX 528N-8 NONCONDUCTIVE hose. SAE100R8 / ½ INCH / WP-3500PSI (It uses 55 series fittings – 133004).
Can this be used any ware on the JLG40F ?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't see a problem with using PARFLEX 528N. The 1/2" hose has 3,500 lb working pressure, burst pressure is 4x that. Just watch tight bends, it's min bend is 4" radius. The only place I wouldn't use it on your machine is the hoses that connect to manual descent valves and in the power track as it's not recommended in sheave applications and the power track is somewhat similar to a sheave the way it rubs a hose. ;)

od1

Occupation
Hi ATCO
What is the power track exactly?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The power track is that chain link looking thing on top of your boom that allows you to telescope and retract the hoses and cables. The carrier tube is what we commonly call that tubing that the power track is fastend to on the tip section that houses the hoses and cables to the platform.

40F edit.JPG

od1

Occupation
Thanks for the info. ATCO, and thanks for your patience on all of this as well.
That makes a lot of sence. The line doesn’t seem to flex well.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Jackpot!!!!

I was in the attic of a shop we abandoned about 10 years ago and I found a file box marked "Old JLG Info".

And it contains........[drum roll please]

A full set of 40F Bertea drawings and they're very readable :beerchug