1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Construction/Demolition Equipment' started by od1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. TheBigDog

TheBigDog Member

@OFF, I forgot to thank you for the info....it is working again!

Also, is there a place to look up the serial number to verify the year it was made?

2. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic/Shop Foreman
    You're very welcome, I'm always glad to help.

The only way I know of to date an old JLG serial number is to contact JLG or have a friendly JLG dealer contact them for you.

All my old contacts are dead by now I'm sure, and we went Genie in about 1990, so I haven't made any new JLG contacts. :)

3. Jwells

Jwells New Member

I am new to this and not really much of a computer guy, but I bought a 40’ jlg lift a year or so ago. It’s a 1980 and now none of the functions are working at all. The local dealer only could tell me about this forum and couldn’t find what he needed for a wiring schematic. A lot of the wires and fuses are burnt up in the box behind the hr meter. Do I have scrap metal now or is there anything out there?

4. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic/Shop Foreman
    Hello JWells. I can email you JLG 40F manuals and wiring diagrams as well as try and answer any questions you may have.

I just need an email address to send the manuals to.

Best way to do that is to click on my name, and in the little box that comes up, choose "start a conversation". That will send me a private message where you can put your email address without the whole world seeing it.

5. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic/Shop Foreman
    On units made before 1980, the first two digits on the serial number seems to me to be the year. People have told me that's wrong, but I don't think so. I worked on a lot of JLG's made in the 70's and the age seemed to fit.

6. Jwells

Jwells New Member

Ok thank you! Also is it possible to buy original parts for a machine this old, such as that hr meter box I mentioned? Or do I look for an old dinosaur burial ground to try and get those parts? The local dealer can’t seem to have any luck, and the bigger dealers towards the bigger cities don’t want to help because it’s over 20 yrs old.

7. Missingsoldier

Missingsoldier New Member

I have a new problem with my 40f. My basket level cylinder was leaking so I rebuilt it and now it will not go in and out. I am getting fluid to it but it will only go out and not back in. Is there a specific way to install it to get the air out?

8. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic/Shop Foreman
    Start by looking up the JLG part number of what you need in the parts manual. Google that part number, you might get lucky. Many places sell obsolete parts and "jobber" parts.
    Also give that part number to your JLG dealer so he can run it. Dealers can't look up a part that old, but they can still run the number in the JLG system. Those two methods are all you have to work with.

That main control box is going to be a tough find. However, I did have a NOS 40F basket control box in my dead stock, (I gave it to the person who started this thread) so it's not impossible.
    Good luck

9. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic/Shop Foreman
    Have a look in the service manual for a bleeding procedure for the basket leveling cylinder.
    Make sure your lock valve is installed correctly and your hoses are on right. Have you tried tilting the basket from the ground controls? If you get it to move, run it fully extended to fully retracted a couple times and all air should be gone.