• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The grouchy old mechanic

check

I'm thankful for the a$$es who taught me work ethic because I didn't learn it in public schools or on teevee. If not for a$$es, I would have been too easy on myself.
Remember this; results are what matters. Not whether someone smiles and whistles while he wrenches. I've known plenty of smilers and charmers in my time and most were pretty worthless.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm thankful for the a$$es who taught me work ethic because I didn't learn it in public schools or on teevee. If not for a$$es, I would have been too easy on myself.
Remember this; results are what matters. Not whether someone smiles and whistles while he wrenches. I've known plenty of smilers and charmers in my time and most were pretty worthless.
There's some truth to that. but, BUT. I have to have fun while I work. I don't necessarily whistle, but I like to have a good time. If I can't enjoy what I do and get something out of it, there's just no reason to chew the restraints and climb the fence. Might just cash in.
Every challenge is just that. Something to keep my mind sharp. Every task is a new adventure, can I beat my last time, can I skip a step, do I really need to do all that to accomplish this? With experience comes speed, but also boredom. That's why I always want to be learning or sharing or experiencing something new or different. This place gives me 2 outta 3. I get to share the little bits I got while learning what all of you share.
Man, I really gotta lose that soapbox. :D

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My plan is to just spend the next 27 years hiding in the corner bay, doing my job and to not get involved in company politics. The moment I start getting involved is the moment I start turning bitter. Better for everyone if I just stay out in left field lol.

walkerv

Patience is something i usually have no problem with for me its not the young guys i have an issue with rite now it is the older guys , they will say they know nothing about what you specialize in and then come over and come up with some strange theory about why this or that failed, its frustrating at this point i do what i normaly do is walk away to the bathroom or go look for a part till they leave . Young guys will learn eventually luckily most of them help out when your onsite fixxing what they or the old machine decided to break , i just drop subtle little pointers like grease is cheap you dont want this to happen again use it like your supposed to .

Truck Shop

I like being a sarcastic comedian in the shop and most of what I say has a rather filthy nature to it. My favorite question to get a reaction {are going to fix it or fu{k it}.
I'm quick to turn something said completely the other way, it's been said that it drives some people nuts or bugs the hell out of them. But usually I can get a smile on
their face in the end. I always tell them {made you laugh didn't I].

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Inj. pump work is rather "nasty" in itself..
See this part has to slide into this part with no friction.. & u show'm..
& the wetter, the better.. U know what I'm talkin about.. wink wink, nudge nudge..
& if she starts squealin on ya.. ur doin somethin wrong.. TRY flipin'r over.. U know..

check

My plan is to just spend the next 27 years hiding in the corner bay, doing my job and to not get involved in company politics. The moment I start getting involved is the moment I start turning bitter. Better for everyone if I just stay out in left field lol.
Damn good strategy, mine was the same but there was always those guys who cleverly draw you into politics. Stick to it!
Some people are born to be a "people person". That type seldom has any ambition to be a mechanic because they have easier options, moving their lips is easier than skinning their knuckles. Those of us who are not charming learn the trades.

JPV

Be grouchy if you have to be but don't make my life miserable with your bad attitude and don't throw wrenches. I have never understood being mad all the time unless you have a good reason. But if you get the job done at the end of the day that is what matters.

Truck Shop

Really- the basis of this thread is telling it like it is, If it gets too hot in the kitchen then get the hell out. But the best thing to have is a good sense of humor. It seems people have lost that.
I will help those that help them selves, but if you are milk toast slacker and think more about food than the job your on or constantly on your phone your done. Your done if you can't talk and
work at the same time. Your done if you don't clean up after yourself. Your done if your late to work and have pillow head. And your done if you won't listen. Your done if you see another
needing help and you go set on your a$$. So GET YOUR BIG BOY PANTS ON AND GET WITH IT or your done. It's that DAMN SIMPLE. You were hired to work and do the job right the first time.
But again if you have no humor your pretty much dead inside.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Really- the basis of this thread is telling it like it is, If it gets too hot in the kitchen then get the hell out. But the best thing to have is a good sense of humor. It seems people have lost that.
I will help those that help them selves, but if you are milk toast slacker and think more about food than the job your on or constantly on your phone your done. Your done if you can't talk and
work at the same time. Your done if you don't clean up after yourself. Your done if your late to work and have pillow head. And your done if you won't listen. Your done if you see another
needing help and you go set on your a$$. So GET YOUR BIG BOY PANTS ON AND GET WITH IT or your done. It's that DAMN SIMPLE. You were hired to work and do the job right the first time.
But again if you have no humor your pretty much dead inside.
It seems that you're preaching to the choir. Amen

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I will add. If you come to me with a problem that you cannot figure out. The old math teacher said it best. Show your work. Tell me what you did, what manuals you read, what they told you, what you think, then I will interpret it for you. Don't come to me expecting me to just tell you the answer. Because I have seen that movie before. In a week you will be back with the same exact question. The main thing is to learn how to figure it out for yourself.

Twister

Occupation
Field Mech.
Great stories on your experiences guys / gals. What made me really post this, was from last week, when I'm in the middle of a complete undercarriage job on a pc300 on location of the quarry site. I walk out to my service truck to grab a socket, and see a 769 truck coming up there like he was going to a fire. Sounding the air horn and waving his arms. I WAVE back and continued to go back into the shop. The lube guy that was giving me hand said, I think he wants to talk to you. And sure enough he did, I just about had a seizure. I pretty much did my venting to the lube guy, stating, how rude for him to want me to just drop my s@#t and try to have a conversation while he's standing on the catwalk and me on the ground over the engine noise. It just wasn't going to happen that way. Willie59's reply hit the nail on the head, when it pertains to older mechanics to younger ones. But when it involves a older mechanic and young operator, it can be a little different. Don't get me wrong, we have a bunch of excellent young operators that understand how things work around here. I will just have to make it black & white for him to understand that he just needs to park his truck, crawl down from his truck & tell me about his truck away from the noise. Love the stories about the special a-holes in your lives, that have made you engage your brain to think on your own! I sure remember my first one! It was my brother, he's 10 years older than me, and not a mechanic either. We we're raised up on a farm my dad started, we lost him in '76, my brother tried running it afterwards. As time went by and I was about 11 or 12, we had a mower that smoked a lot, that I decided to take the engine apart to fix it. I had the engine scattered on the garage floor in pieces and was cleaning parts, when my brother walked through and saw what was happening, I thought oh crap I'm going to get a talking to. The only thing he said, was a mumble stating, well that will never run again! As he walked on. I thought to myself, what an a-hole! That comment was more fuel to add to my motivation in to getting the job done and to prove him wrong. Had mom take me to town so I could get parts, because I was to young to drive. I did get the mower running again & not burn oil. That was one of the most happiest times in my life, gave me self worth, and has helped lead me where I am today.. I did have a engine manual to read & study, it was a 8 hp Kohler. On a wegel scooter mower, simular to a heckendorn mower. I'm a firm believer that God does wire us up to be who we are going to be at a early age, as well as putting those special mentors into our lives. Cause looking back now, at my age, I'm not really sure how I pulled that one off.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
I'm a firm believer that God does wire us up to be who we are going to be at a early age, as well as putting those special mentors into our lives. Cause looking back now, at my age, I'm not really sure how I pulled that one off.
What a great way of putting it, thank you.
I had the great good fortune to stand on the shoulders of some giants, men who took the time to teach me, among them are my father Robert P. McCloskey, my uncle Hugh J. McCloskey, my grandfather Hugh C. McCloskey, Jim Hamill, Joe Fitzpatrick, Joe Fox, Don Goodman, Floyd McLane and Dan Redmond. Thank you all.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm a firm believer that God does wire us up to be who we are going to be at a early age, as well as putting those special mentors into our lives. Cause looking back now, at my age, I'm not really sure how I pulled that one off.
Not sure about the God part but do have to think there are somethings that do come hard wired in many people. Been watching a show on TV the last couple of years where they fine birth parents or kids that were put up for adoption and reunite them. Surprising how often the kids and parents who had never had any contact from birth end up with very similar jobs or hobbies! Guess there is something to the genetics besides hair color.

Makes me also wonder about all the knowledge and talent in the world that goes to waste just because this or that person is born in the wrong time or with the wrong opportunities.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Your post implicates that there was an "a$$" in your youth that you pleaded to yourself not to be, but that a$$ has now influenced you in you later years. That's how it works. Don't fret being labeled as an a$$ by your young counterparts, but rather, be consistent, be real, be honest, teach the real lessons of do's and don't(s) with the craft, just don't be an a$$ doing it. Yes, you'll be considered an a$$ by the youth, but they'll get it one day...just like you did. Carry on.

I agree with Willie, don't just tell them what to do. Explain to them why. Why you want them to do it that way. Pass on all those years of experience, teach them, that's the most important job we can do at this point. I'm 61, and getting grumpier by the day. Is it because everything hurts? Or is more that we see what direction things are headed, and it's not good? I'm not sure.
As long as you haven't gotten to the point of throwing tools.......you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: JPV

T-Bird

I have a somewhat different outlook on this subject. what makes you a grumpy old a hole? could it be the number of bone heads that you have experienced over time!? I worked for one guy that plowed snow for the state, doubbled off as mechanic and driver (I have a cdl) this one guy thats maybe 3 years older than me i swear could break a anvil with a rubber mallet! comes in almost all the time with something broke all grinns almost bragging about what he has torn up and you have to fix it. if that wont make you grumpy i dont know what will! best one on him, he was night shift and would sleep all night well it turned cold enough his load froze! comes in and says it just quit working and we are down a truck and need that one ASAP! I asked the dot supper if he had any chloride on hand we had a truck frozen up and said sure. well ding bat sees me in the truck that "just quit" follows me and starts yelling i told you it quit! about 20 gallons of liquid magic and the load was ran off with a fresh load put on for day shift. what dum dum didnt realize was they were going to charge our company $100 Hr because we were down a truck.