• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The giant

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’ve given up on watching the news. I hate being lied to and I hate listening to B.S. I put gas in my pickup twice this weekend with no issues besides the rising cost.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I’ve given up on watching the news. I hate being lied to and I hate listening to B.S. I put gas in my pickup twice this weekend with no issues besides the rising cost.
Remember way back when the news reported the actual news. There were no ratings to make, if you were in any position of power, and you fffed up everyone found out the truth. Reporters were like private investigators, and looked for the real story. Or maybe that was just in the movies, can't remember.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
A couple years ago we had very widespread power outages. No pumps but 1 but the line was outrageous, down the block. Due to the nature of my business I was traveling far and wide so was able to get what I needed.

However I wondered if staying local, what would the line have looked like at 2am? Probably no line is my guess. Hour of the day or night is nothing but a number, I have electric lights and so does the gas station.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The gas shortage. Unless what I'm reading is all made up? Sounded like the east coast was pretty much out of gas?

Where I live we have a Colonial pipeline and Plantation/Kinder Morgan pipeline that damn near cross each other. There are two tank farms in a 10 mile radius.

No issues with finding fuel other than the occasional station outage. Last Tuesday we had 500 gal on road and 1000 gal off delivered to our yard on it's normal schedule.

crane operator

No problems with hoarding a little fuel here, I've got a couple inconspicuous vehicles so they don't spot me at multiple stations. Word to the wise- rubbermaid containers aren't what they used to be. And the new biodegradable trash bags aren't all that great either.

I've also got some good deals on N-95 masks and TP if anyone needs it......

Gas-hoarders-Facebook-4.jpeg

Gas-hoarders-Facebook-5.jpeg
us-gas-shortage.png

skyking1

humans have always been this lazy. Why would you face critical systems out to the 'net, but to be lazy and save money?
"Look here, we can automate this and that, that thing over there, make that so we can check it from the central office and cut 1 million a year in staffing!"

" oh yes the stockholders will like that! Sign me up for my golden parachute!"
The folks who made this possible have probably all been retired out with huge bonuses. They should have a drawback clause.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Our fuel market here was down to a few hours supply for a few days during the texas freeze a few months ago media never peeped about local supply or shortage so the system recovered without issue pretty rapidly

I enjoyed rolling into a station in my service rig and filling up at a green nozzle will everyone was looking for gas tho.

humans have always been this lazy. Why would you face critical systems out to the 'net, but to be lazy and save money?
"Look here, we can automate this and that, that thing over there, make that so we can check it from the central office and cut 1 million a year in staffing!"

Comes down to a basic theory of mine, that's been proven over and over, system operators are a lazy lazy bunch.

skyking1

No. Just no.
The problem was leaving the keys in the door in the first place. The power grid heard the wake up call and took steps. The pipeline people were deaf to the warning. They are listening now and so are the regulators.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, the tech exists to secure this stuff. They just saved a little money and it cost them a lot. The next chapter is here now. It won't happen to them again, hopefully others get the message before it happens somewhere else important.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I forget, what does and elephant look like?

A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. The first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said, "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said the elephant, "is a wall". Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant