• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The fuel goes where?

brianbulldozer

A couple of weeks ago my Cat 924f loader develops a hydraulic leak on the job and must have lost quite a bit of oil as the level was no longer visible in the sight glass. Fixed the problem and went to refill the hydraulic reservoir when I discovered that the oil level was not low but full above the sight glass. Asked the help if there was any way someone might have put diesel in there by mistake, but no, that could not have possibly happened. Should have drained it right then and there but instead I just drained it down to full and sent a sample in to the lab. Results came back today, and what do you know, it is almost 9% diesel fuel by volume. All my equipment is padlocked with keyed alike master locks (including this reservoir cap), so it wasn't vandalism. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how best to get all the contamination out (multiple oil changes?) and what if any damage might have been done. There is no way I would have not caught this when the last engine oil change was done about 100 hours ago. Also thinking about putting different keyed alike padlocks on the fuel fill caps of all my equipment.

cdm123

a separate key for fuel sounds like a good idea, as for 9% diesel I would think a oil and filter change should take care of it of course another oil sample will confirm. Good luck!

lantraxco

Many winters ago, we had a similar problem with a large tracked JLG manlift, fuel truck driver filled the hydraulic tank instead of the fuel tank, they had identical caps and the hydraulic was painted red, go figure. According to the factory manual 50/50 diesel and hydro was the proper mix for flushing the system of contaminants. I doubt your CAT is any more particular about it's fluids. As cdm123 said, change the oil and filters and I would add change the filters again in a couple hundred as the diesel may "clean" the system up some. JLG manlift. Moog valves. Flashback.... woof, lol

Delmer

To get the most contamination out of the system, you have to get the most fluid out. You can do multiple changes, or try to get as much of the fluid per change by taking everything apart, or working the functions, and/or at the same time blowing them out with air.

If you can do it safely, hold the bucket up and tilted down, shut off the machine and drain all the fluid and remove filters, put buckets under it, lower the boom and tilt the bucket back to expel as much of that oil as possible. Possibly flex it side to side to pump that oil out also? not sure if you'd go to that trouble for a little diesel but it's easier than taking apart all the hoses.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
First thing I would do is take sometime Monday morning to teach everyone what the word F U E L spells! And where it goes.

I'm thinking like cmd123 and lantraxco and just do a normal oil and filter change and then maybe a week later a second filter change and send in another sample. Fuel oil is as the name says oil so don't think what little is left will be a major problem.

I was told once by a Mack Truck engineer that they did a test run on an engine once using 100% fuel oil in the crank case and the only major wear was in the rings. Of course this was back in the 1970's and I don't think the older engines were a sensitive as the newer ones might be.

Just looked in SIS and the hydraulic system refill capacity of a 924f is only about 14 gallons, I'm more used to 988H with 70+ gallon systems so if the price of the oil would help you sleep better at night I'd say change it a second time after a week or so.