• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Crazygator story

Crazygator

Occupation
Landscaping/Lawncare
Hello all,
I am the new kid on the block around here, but I know many of you from other sites. So on with my story:

As a kid my father always owned or co-owned busniess's. When I was in high school he started a used machinery company. We would buy and sell used metal working machines - lathes, mills, drills, grinders, press brakes, shears, etc...

So, you guessed it, fresh out of high school where else would I go? So for 20 years I worked with my fathers business until the economy and his health started going down hill. In 2000 we auctioned off everything, plus I had my first child - Mandy the love of my life :)

Mandy was born in June of 2000, we had the auction in August of 2000 and by October of 2000 Dad was diagnosed with a rare type of abdominal cancer. We chased his health until he passed Sept 2002. Wow how I miss him, but I have the wonderful memories of being with him most everyday for 20 years at work, and what a wonderful priviledge that was.

I took a complete year off from everything, while taking care of my new born - wife had a job and our insurance so whats a guy to do? Thats when I stumbled onto lawncare and landscaping as a possible job. I read everything I could find online to make sure this was a good choice. And yes, so far so good.

I am not an equipment operator, but due to working with my father I had the chance to operate overhead cranes (to load and unload the machines we sold), forklifts up to 60,000lb capacity and so forth. I have always loved heavy machinery, guess its a guy thing, or a Tonka toy DNA thing...haha

So on to my future. I need to learn more about heavy equipment, or at least compact stuff for my business growth and well being of taking care of a family, whether I stay in landscaping or move on to something else.

I appreciate everyone here that has and will help me with all I need to learn and ask. I hope I dont bother anyone, but would love to meet anyone anytime you are here at Nashville, TN.

I am sure, like most here, I wonder about my future and my business. How will I grow? Will I survive changes? Can I add more service and yet continue the awesome customer service I provide? Certainly anything can change, and very fast too, but we will always have a need for heavy equipment. New roads, new homes, ect...

So I am here to learn. Please be kind and help someone who has the strong desire and passion to be the best possible. Please be patient with me, for I do not know what will work for me and what will not. Most of all please be my friend. That is what my father taught me best, and I dont want to dissapoint him.

Ya know, for - what seemed like forever - I never understood how Dad could go to work so early and stay so late. Everyday, all day, even on the weekends. He didnt want to take vacation because he loved his work so much. I never understood that....until I started my company. Now I understand Dad. My father had a passion for his work like no other. I only wish I have 1/2 of that for mine.

I love to compare my life back to his and how he loved his work, and how I am loving what I do now. I would get so mad at him because all he wanted to do was go to his shop......always! I thank him for showing me the passion. Thanks Dad! I miss you!

So there is my story. And yes, I am ready and willing to learn. I am desperate to get my hands on information that will help me and my business grow into directions that I have only dreamed of. Thanks for looking and reading my story. :D

Now where do I get my hands dirty??? :waving

leadarrows

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner: Acme Farms LLC
Welcome good to see you. I don't post here as much but I do try to stop buy and read a lot. I'll look forward to seeing your posts here. Later. :cool2