• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Conficker Worm

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Conficker worm spikes, infects 1.1 million PCs in 24 hours

This is serious guys not only is it just this worm but all worms/viruses/trojans out there can do this to you.
Please watch this video, I think it will really hit home for a lot of folks.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4908267n?source=search_video

The Conficker Worm was set up to receive new information on April 1st, many people called it D-Day or the Cyber-Armageddon. However April 1st has come and gone and although it did receive new information it is still laying dormant. They are not 100% sure what the motive of this worm is. It has infected many major corparations including CBSNews, who had it's IT people working 24 hours for 7 days to clear it out and quarentine the infected computers. The Conficker Worm has infected a shocking 10 million PCs.

Even your removable devices such as your USB Sticks and External Hard Drives can become infected by the worm.

These 2 articles from PCworld explain a little bit also on the Conficker Worm.
Conficker Worm Not Finished Yet
Worm Phones Home Quietly

(The steps below were takin from the Microsoft.com Website. I also use safety.live.com on my computer it works well)
If you are still worried about Conficker, follow these steps:

1. Go to http://update.microsoft.com and install updates.

2. If you can't access http://update.microsoft.com, go to http://safety.live.com and scan your system.

3. If you can’t go to http://safety.live.com, contact support at 1-866-PCSafety or 1-866-727-2338. This phone number is for virus and other security-related support. It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada. For support in other countries, visit the Worldwide computer security information page.

(More things from the Microsoft Website)
What does the Conficker worm do?
To date, security researchers have discovered four variants of the worm in the wild.

• Win32/Conficker.A was reported to Microsoft on November 21, 2008.

• Win32/Conficker.B was reported to Microsoft on December 29, 2008.

• Win32/Conficker.C was reported to Microsoft on February 20, 2009.

• Win32/Conficker.D was reported to Microsoft on March 4, 2009.

Win32/Conficker.B might spread through file sharing and via removable drives, such as USB drives (also known as thumb drives). The worm adds a file to the removable drive so that when the drive is used, the AutoPlay dialog box will show one additional option.

The Conficker worm can also disable important services on your computer.

If anything please watch the video at the top it explains many many things!

Last edited:

Cat287B

I had a problem with CornFlaker worms not too long ago. Turns out they were 2 years past expiration date and they were weavels and not worms. I just threw the box out and bought another one, didn't know all those web sites were available.
Pete

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Chuck - The they are not totally sure exactly what the worm is there for
Could it be a bunch of college students doing it for a prank?
Could it be a Russian internet gangs (they do exsist) trying to collect vital information from you (Bank account info) so they can steal money? (Cuz you do know they can make 30k in a week over there and they are heros in their towns)
Could it be the virus software companies that you have on your computer (Norton, Mcafee, AVG) trying to pull a stunt so you will buy more protection from them?
Maybe the reason the virus is laying dormant still because it is being publisized. Maybe the master mind behind it is worried if it pulls something big that they will be more likely to find him.

It could be anything really if you think of it. Millions have had money stolen from their bank accounts because they had some type of virus on their computer that collected key strokes which collects passwords and anything you type.

I am just letting you all know incase you didn't really know a lot about it. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just wanted to make you all aware of the seriousness of these things.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Could it be a Russian internet gangs (they do exsist) trying to collect vital information from you (Bank account info) so they can steal money? (Cuz you do know they can make 30k in a week over there and they are heros in their towns)

I'm safe then:eek::(:rolleyes:

Wolfcsm

I do not think that the CERT teams know what CONFLICKR will do. It is supposed to generate zombies that become a part of a botnet. Almost without exception, nothing good can come of that.

It is spread by removable media (memore sticks, etc). A lot of companies and the US Government have shut off USB access with the exception of keyboards and mice.

Removal tools are available. But it is very easy to get infected again - remove it - get infected, etc.

Hal

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
There was a segment on 60 minutes on it sponsered by "Symantec"....lol....that left you with the impression that unless you bought their product that you were doomed.
Nice marketing ploy.
There are very few Symantec products that I would use and their virus software is at the bottom of the list.I have heard that their corporate product is first rate however in all fairness but their consumer version leaves a lot to be desired.Ron G

Russelln

Occupation
Electronics Engineer & Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
There was a segment on 60 minutes on it sponsered by "Symantec"....lol....that left you with the impression that unless you bought their product that you were doomed.
Nice marketing ploy.
There are very few Symantec products that I would use and their virus software is at the bottom of the list.I have heard that their corporate product is first rate however in all fairness but their consumer version leaves a lot to be desired.Ron G

Yes, Norton’s corporate editions are the best and also does not compromise the speed or effectiveness of the computer, but the standard editions and especially Norton 360 will degrade the speed.

The best combination I found for my companies network system of 433 computers is Norton Corporate and PC Tools anti-spy ware.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Norton = Poop no matter what kind you have . .

Wifes happy,..................... I just found out what the smell is thats been lingering around the computer room. She kept blaming me........... looks like shes correct, I loaded it :rolleyes: