• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Appraisal of Heavy Equipment

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've been flying on here for a some years now and not revealed much of myself and what I have been doing. I started as a mechanic early in life as my grand dad and dad owned and operated construction and clearing and grading businesses. Dad died young and I had to do some repair work on a crane that was still around so my mother could sell the monster. The mechanic bug caught me then and I pursued a career that took me through several dealerships and a couple of coal mines. I ended up on my own repairing iron and doing appraisal work for lots of people. I got some training on doing professional appraisals for all kinds of people and for all kinds of reasons and got pretty good at it. Did that on my own for about nine years when a friend asked me to re-build an appraisal program for the local Cat dealership. I worked the last twelve years for them as the used equipment appraiser. Last month I decided that it was time to pursue another path and left that employment.

I've kept track of the things need to perform appraisals and wrote them down in a book. I just got through publishing it on Amazon. It is written in plain language and includes a bunch of photos that show examples of machines and condition. The book was written to help anyone that has to handle due diligence for a purchase of sale of used equipment.

If you are interested you can go to Amazon.com and type in the title of this thread and it will take you to the book. Feel free to leave a comment if you purchase and read the book through. If nothing else I'm sure you all will find it interesting.

The Appraisal of Heavy Equipment
Jul 17, 2017
by John Craughan
Kindle Edition
$0.00
Read this and over 1 million books withKindle Unlimited.
$ 49 99 to buy

John C.

Occupation
The book has been on Amazon for a year now and I figure it's time to reduce the price. It will help more people who are buying or selling used equipment understand the games and avoid unexpected costs associated with heavy equipment. Click on the link below;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZXGQNJ

JPV

It is a great book, I enjoyed it and have used it as a reference to remind me of all the things to try to remember to do when at the auction surrounded by people trying to do the same thing!

John C.

Occupation
It is a great book, I enjoyed it and have used it as a reference to remind me of all the things to try to remember to do when at the auction surrounded by people trying to do the same thing!

Thanks for the post and the compliments!

td25c

I somehow missed your first post last year on the book John .

Will grab a paperback copy of it .

Always interested in appraisal opinions & how they calculate the value on yellow iron . :cool:

John C.

Occupation
That guys. Feel free to comment or discuss what you read.