• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Texas sized pickup

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I though Scrubpuller might like this one.:D It was our mechanics "personal" pickup an 09 Chevy body dropped on a old 6500 frame and drive train. IIRC it had a cummins not the cat. Sorry its not the best pic.

Attachments

• DSC01073 (Copy).JPG
    DSC01073 (Copy).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 4,719

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I though Scrubpuller might like this one.:D It was our mechanics "personal" pickup an 09 Chevy body dropped on a old 6500 frame and drive train. IIRC it had a cummins not the cat. Sorry its not the best pic.

Awesome truck there dozer boy.Did you also post this on the DP?I think he would have been better off leaving that custom bumper just straight across.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I don't think I posted it on DP at least not lately. Ya I'm not digging the pipe bumpers, but thats a Texas Pipeline thing.

I guess the stock cluster even works he just adapted the pins to work with the sensors on the 6500.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I would think the bulls horns were more in style on the hood.Sorta talking of which---old JR Ewing [Larry Hagman] passed this morning.Very sad news.NOBODY could have played that role any better.Envious that he got to ''play'' with Barbara Eden on I Dream of Genie years ago.My boyhood girl next door fantasy babe for sure.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Gotcha Dozerboy

Actualy appearance wise the darn thing looks pretty good . . . looks to be some sweet alloy work on those steptanks but, as mentioned by others, I think the six or eight inch bar work is just ugly.

Cheers

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya I heard Hagman died. My wife was a Dallas fan as a kid and I got into it with the new series.

Ya pipe bumpers are huge here. A lot of oil field welders tear there bumper off within a few days and they weld up new ones with scraps. The rear of the flat bed was just as ugly.

Most of the guys lived out of there RVs in the same RV park. When he pulls that truck up after going to the bars the other guys b*tch as him for making the walls rattle at 2am.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I always thought it was no fun driving a regular pickup with that small sloped back windshield and side windows, and couch for a seat, and steering column almost horizontal, and all that hood and bumper out front and hard to see, and I wonder why people want to drive a bigger truck set up like that. I much prefer the operating position that the small KWs, Freightliners, etc. have for the same size truck. I had to suffer with an F-700 for many years and I didn't like it one bit.

Dualie

thats a hell of a welding rig. i wounder how it actually does out on the ROW? seems to me it would be a HEAVY SOB when the going gets soft.

Scrub Puller

Yair . .
seems to me it would be a HEAVY SOB when the going gets soft.

I was thinking the same thing Dualie . . . I assume the beast is 4x4.

I always found duals on the back a PITA, particularly in sand . . . if the going gets marginal I reckon you are always better off with super singles all around.

Cheers

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
It was only 2WD he got stuck a bit since this job was on the beach. Most of the pipeline job here are done off mats anyways since the ground is so soft. I liked the old 6500s its not like anything we drive in this industry has great visibility.

Dualie

I have seen how they lay some mats out on the row and you would still need 4x4. Nothing will **** off the bead hands like have to to stop and wait twice daily for some dude to get his truck pulled out of a situation a real rig would have walked right through.