1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Testing infrared remote controllers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by willie59, Nov 24, 2018.

1. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    For those who occasionally work on something that has an infrared remote controller and you just want to do a quick check to see if the controller is working. You can't see it with your eyes, but simply whip out your cell phone and turn on the camera. You don't have to snap a pic or video, just hold your camera lens in front of the infrared eye and activate the controller, you'll then see the flashes of the eye. Helps to be in dim areas, you can't see it real well in bright sunlight, but you can quickly confirm the controller is actually working. I've used this trick to test infrared remote controllers for trench compactors. Infrared screen shot 2.png

Truck Shop likes this.
  2. alrman

alrman Senior Member

Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
    Oh MAGOO! You've done it again! ;)

Truck Shop likes this.
  3. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    I'd kinda actually forgot about this trick alrman. Just happened to purchase a ceramic heater from Wally World today and it came with a remote controller, that's when I recalled this little camera trick. :)

4. tool_king

tool_king Senior Member

road mechanic owner
    I have been doing it that way for a long time working on trench rollers .Very useful in the field or shop.

5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It works for old TV remotes as well.