1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

testing for hydraulic cylinder bypassing.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by nowing75, May 13, 2021.

1. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

Had a d6t that was told it would not lift a full blade of dirt. Felt for heat and thought i could feel it but not for sure. I got out my steelman wireless chassis ear and attached them to the 2 lift cylinders and it was amazing how you could easly tell the cylinder bypassing. I think they are around $300. I had originally got them for hearing noise under vehicles that needed to be moving to hear it. next is a thermal camera.

DB2, Tinkerer, alaskaforby4 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    I’ve got the thermal camera but have never heard of the wireless chassis ear. How does it work?

nowing75 and Tenwheeler like this.
  3. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

There is a control box you hold that lets you select witch device your listing to and the head set plugs into. There are 4 wireless boxes about the size of a cell phone and it has an alligator clip on it to clip to what you want to hear. I just put a magnet on the cylinder and clipped to it. Worked better than I expected.

Tenwheeler likes this.
  4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

DB2 and nowing75 like this.
  5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Sounds like a very handy trouble shooting tool!

6. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

So what does a bypassing
    Cylinder sound like?

7. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH

nowing75 and Kobelco ireland like this.
  8. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

yep makes a ssssshhhhhhhhuuuuuuuussssshhhhh sound very noticeable when comparing the 2.