• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Testa's Big Komatsu's Wreck in Hartford, CT **VIDEO**

EarthRockHill

Occupation
Industrial Photographer
Testa Corp's big new un-lettered Komatsu 1250 (#9) and their 1100 wreck the MassMutual building in Hartford in May and June of 2009.

Get a operators view with cameras mounted in the cab, on the machine and just below the tilt lift cab.

Built in 1926 the 450,000 square foot 5 story building come down gradually with surgical strikes to support columns at ground level.

Featuring the work of Testa's operators Mike Hebb and Steve McCullen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Wicj2EeCM

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
That was pretty cool. :thumbsup

That's the first time I've ever seen that done with using a steel beam in the grapple to poke the building apart. I'd be kinda worried about it slipping back and spearing the operator though. I guess they have it figured that that could never happen?

Turbo21835

That was pretty cool. :thumbsup

That's the first time I've ever seen that done with using a steel beam in the grapple to poke the building apart. I'd be kinda worried about it slipping back and spearing the operator though. I guess they have it figured that that could never happen?

Its pretty tough to get a beam to move once you pinch them between the tines on the grapple. As long as you have a good hold, they will not slide. They only thing that concerns me is sometimes you get items that tend to slide down the beam towards you. Using a beam or column to poke at things tends to be very effective. In fact, on the really TALL building, it is very effective to get everything you can reach, then cutting the legs most of the way thru on the bottom. Then you grab a beam, and give a leg a good punch and the building comes crashing down, with you at a safer distance away.

Attachments

• Picture377.jpg
    Picture377.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,451
  • Picture388.jpg
    Picture388.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 986

EarthRockHill

Occupation
Industrial Photographer

Its pretty tough to get a beam to move once you pinch them between the tines on the grapple. As long as you have a good hold, they will not slide. They only thing that concerns me is sometimes you get items that tend to slide down the beam towards you. Using a beam or column to poke at things tends to be very effective. In fact, on the really TALL building, it is very effective to get everything you can reach, then cutting the legs most of the way thru on the bottom. Then you grab a beam, and give a leg a good punch and the building comes crashing down, with you at a safer distance away.

Turbo always explains things well.

I have seen quite a few operators in the demolition world use beams and poles for a variety of tools. During the demolition of the Linden GM Plant they had to bring the third floor and fourth levels down to working height and used beams to poke out structural columns.
I have also seem then curl the far end of a beam and use it like a hook to pull things down or bring things closer.
Some operators curl the end closer to the cab so if the beam does slip it won't spear the cab.

Here are a few 'poker' photos.

SSDPHOTO-7359.jpg

2008SteveDucati-2375.jpg