• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terramite

cat320

Charter Member
I had rented one a while back when i needed to do work ontop of a septic system in a yard.we had to dig for lamp post and bushes and such.It was not a bad little machine and it did the work but that was in sand , and sandy gravel nothing hard.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've rented them in the past and I'll say they beat a shovel, but really aren't good for anything but the smallest of jobs.

The machine doesn't have enough weight to get the full use of the backhoe, you constantly toss yourself around while digging. I will say however I was able to pull a 3' diameter rock out of a hole with it, that really surprised me!

The loader will only reach a 1 ton dump with the sideboards off and has a limited curl so each bucket usually isn't full.

But like I said, it sure beats a shovel!

yankeefan8282

Latley I have been renting excavators or skid steers as I need them. All I have is a dingo. It is great for most patios and walks but slow and you can't really load a truck. I can buy a used Terramite from the rental place for a good price. Figured it would be good fro bigger jobs (only dig topsoil), and moveing materials. Plus in the winter thought I could build a ramp to load a spreader. As an added bonus I can haul it on my landscape even using my small pickup. Saving me the cost of having to get a big trailer.

Would this be a good temporary purchase? I want a skidsteer but don't see having the money till next spring.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'd recommend you rent it for a day before you purchase. Like I said, the machine beats hand tools and will increase your production slightly, but it is very limited in its abilities. I don't think the reach is much more than the Dingo, I've rented one of those too. In fact, except for the backhoe, I think the Terramite would be on the same scale as the Dingo.

yankeefan8282

Well I have one rented to do a patio excavation this week. Need to get all the way across a backyard and thought a skidsteer would be to much. Plus it is not a lot of work. I will compare to the Dingo as I work then make my decision.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I don't know what kind of deal they're giving you, but a used compact tractor with a loader and backhoe would be able to do more work. If you keep your ear to the ground, you can find a decent used one in the $600 to $8000 range.

yankeefan8282

Would I be able to reach a one ton to load? What brands / models should I be looking at. I have used tractors before but do not have knowledge on them. I would not mind buying something that neede a little work. I have a bit of mechanical ability.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'd look for John Deere, Ford or Kubota, they will be easiest to get parts for. They are available in many sizes, just make sure you check the bucket height before you buy.

In order to load a 1 ton dump with the Terramite, you will have to remove the sideboards and load from both sides. Even then you won't get a full load on the truck. I've been there.

cat320

Charter Member
Well really what it comes down to is spending more than you want or have to get a machine that will do what you want the terrimite is a good home owner machine in my opinion.To load trucks and excavate alot you will need a bobcat and or a mini excavator. but you could find like and a kubota with the three point hitch that is alittle bigger and do a faster job.

RenoF250

See if you can find a JCB Mini. They only weigh 3,400 pounds and can do quite a bit. I have one that is giving me some troubles right now so my opinion may change.

Terry Cusack

Terramites:
I have been owning and using them for over 15 years. At any given time I may have one or more of them for sale.
They are like coffee, they come in small, medium and large. I usually have some of each size.
Presently the T5C is the small. Gas engine, in Honda or Kohler. 2 WD . These are very tough little machines and will serve you very well if you maintain them and grease them.
Mid size is the T7, they are available in a gas or Diesel engine , I have only had diesels, they are 2 WD and a very able machine.
Largest is the T9, it comes in diesel in both 2 WD or 4 WD . Very good machines, I have both 2 & 4 WD models, I like them both and actually prefer the 2WD for a lot of work.
One of the most useful options available is the 4:1 split front bucket. You can do some amazing work with it. It is available on all models but I have only had it onT9's.
I seem to have become the "go to" guy for Terramites in our area, even the dealers call me when they have a problem or question.
My website has a lot of information on these machines and posts any I have available. You can also get complete specs on them from the Terramite website.
These machines are tough,tough,tough and just keep dig'in.
Terry

http://www.TerrysTerramites.com

Old Doug

We rented one to dig a footer it worked good and was not very old but it needed more Hyd because it wouldnt do 2 things at one time. Other wise i got used to it and got the job done.

Terry Cusack

Over the years I have gotten many questions on Terramites:

Here are a few FAQ:

Hydraulics: they Don't take hydraulic fluid, just regular motor oil same as motor, usually 15w-40 unless in severe cold conditions. Putting hydraulic fluid in the system will cost you a pump.

Transmission Whine: they all do it, especially the T5C's , nothing to worry about, it's just how they are.

It will barely go up hill with a full scoop, it must be worn out?

No, it has to do with how you are using the "go peddle".

Same thing applies when picking up dirt. At a given RPM you can have SPEED or POWER , not both.

So try the same load, same RPM, just push go peddle slightly down, much less speed,but much more power.
This is noticeable in the T5C more than the T7 and T9's.

These machines are really tough but they can't grease themselves. Most of the problems I see are maintenance or rather lack of maintenance related.

Lots of things I don't know about them but I do know that oil,filters, grease fittings and grease are much cheaper than pins,bushings and engines.

PS. If you must do battle with a Black Walnut stump, go easy, the T9 is powerful enough to break its own backhoe bucket.
My first T9 taught me that one. Did get the stump though"