• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terramite TSS38 sweeper engine cover modification

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know how many folks have a Terramite TSS38, but if you do, you will certainly understand where I'm coming from. The way Terramite mounted the engine cover makes it a PITA to do anything in the engine compartment. Well, changing the air filter is fairly easy, that's about the only thing that is.

The engine cover pivots backward, but in doing so all it now becomes is in your way to do engine service, and with the water tanks to each side you pretty much have to hop on top of the machine and stand on the deck plate between radiator and open engine cover. Then you figure out you need a wrench or a screwdriver, hop out, back in, repeat this 5 or 6 times you begin to start growling.

View of engine cover tilted back

Terramite TSS38 hood support 001.jpg

Can't get to nothing from the rear, grille plate in the way

Terramite TSS38 hood support 002.jpg

Hood open in the "service position". I suppose one could do some service on it if their arms were 8 ft long

Terramite TSS38 hood support 003.jpg

Solution: fabricate some hinge pivots from flat bar, weld pivots to engine cover and machine cover directly behind operator seat.

Terramite TSS38 hood support 005.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now to best part, a cab support gas spring from a G Series open cab Bobcat. I used the gas spring that has the safety latch to prevent gas spring failure from dropping hood on a person.

Terramite TSS38 hood support 004.jpg

Lower gas spring mount bracket welded to base plate of machine

Terramite TSS38 hood support 009.jpg

3 x 3 x 1/4 steel angle welded to inside of hood, 9" pivot arm plate to attach top end of gas spring.

Terramite TSS38 hood support 008.jpg

Gas spring engine cover support mounted and in place

Terramite TSS38 hood support 010.jpg

Not THAT'S more like it! :drinkup

Terramite TSS38 hood support 006.jpg