• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terrace job

tootalltimmy

I looked at a job a couple of days ago. It is 3 acres and a house on a good slope. The homeowner would like some wide terraces on the hillside to make the property more user friendly.

I have a few questions about the project before I give them my proposal/bid.

We figured on 3-4 wide terraces with the upper and lower edges sloped. There seems to be at least 5 feet of material that can be dug into and moved. I figure it will be just like building a wide road across the slope.

Below the house they would like to put in a small parking area at the main road to allow for days when the hill is too slippery and make a wider turning access to their driveway.
The driveway is concrete. They want to widen it by 6 feet.

The hump where their sign is will be removed and made into parking for two cars. This material and the 6 foot strip of top soil from widening the driveway will move up the hill and be used to widen the grass area under the deck. Possible retaining wall here from large blocks.

If we use gravel to widen the driveway, what about erosion? Compacted recycled asphalt material or I heard that adding cement to the gravel might bind it. Either of these ideas work or do they need more concrete? Is the asphalt going to bleed over to the clean concrete when it rains?

I could load material in my dump truck to move it from bottom of driveway to the house but its too steep to dump exactly where I want it. I'll be using my 135 excavator. Would it be faster to just move the pile up the hill with the excavator? I am a one man operation.

Tips or tricks welcome!

Attachments

• terrace job5.JPG
    terrace job5.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 613
  • terrace job6.JPG
    terrace job6.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 605
  • terrace job3.JPG
    terrace job3.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 604
  • terrace job8.JPG
    terrace job8.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 610
  • terrace job7.JPG
    terrace job7.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 597

tootalltimmy

More pictures. The top of the property ends at the pine trees.

Attachments

• terrace job 9.JPG
    terrace job 9.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 597
  • terrace job2.JPG
    terrace job2.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 575
Last edited: