• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex TX55-19.... Feedback?

Stevenbrla

Ok... I asked this a couple months ago... but getting close to pulling the trigger on a (used) Terex TX5519.... Looking at a few machines, 2005-2006 year models, hours ranging from 900-1600.

From what I can tell, its the right machine for my relatively small retail lot, that I will use to load pallets of grass sod onto (rail-sided) trailers. Typically about 2000 pounds each.

From shopping for a couple months, there seems to be a good many of these machines... and seem to be about $5k-10k less than Ghel, Bobcat similar machines (or anything else I see.)

Do you know of any reasons that I should be shying away from this machine??

Thanks!! Steve

aerolift

I have owned a Terex TX55-19 for (2) years. Bought it used, 1150 hrs.
It is an indespensible machine. We use it every day. I also own 35-40 SkyTraks for our rental fleet. Google "used SkyTrak parts", Aero Lift, if you are interested. Try to get a "quick-tatch" bucket for it. Then you can rehandle dirt, stone or snow.
If you get it "right" you will not regret it.
Jim

Stevenbrla

Thanks for the info, aerolift. For so many machines in circulation, don't read about them so much... maybe that's a good thing, huh.

Haven't looked a whole lot for a bucket, but I do want one. I'm guessing by what you said that I need to be looking for one called "quick-tatch". Is that a Terex product, or one that just has that particular attachment plate? Only one of the machines I'm looking at has a bucket included... but gotta have one somehow.... gotta move dirt, some stone... not really sure what that s-n-o-w is though.

Last edited:

icestationzebra

A quick-tatch is an attachment system similar to what the skid steers guys have. The older machines had the fork carriage permanently pined to the boom. About the only down side to quick-tatch systems is that they add weight, which takes away from your useful load. Unfortunately there is no industry standard, though there is some consolidation towards the Sky Trak system. From the pictures the 5519 is using a Terex only system, but you can almost certainly buy attachments from several 3rd parties, just Google it.

ISZ

Stevenbrla

After a couple months of shopping, I pulled the trigger on a TX5519.

Possibly not the most prudent shopper, as I bought the machine based on pictures alone... but just don't have the time to go look at a machine 2000 miles away... and probably not smart enough to evaluate it anyway.

Guessing I'll change fluids, filters, and cross my fingers. It came from a Hertz rental.

Seemed to get a pretty good deal on freight... picked up 24 hours after I bought it, and its supposed to get to me Wednesday. I'll post some pics of it in action... (if you call loading pallets of grass sod action... I do!!)

Link to machinerytrader ad, if you care to look:
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7347971

Stevenbrla

If you're asking me, fendtman, I just received it yesterday afternoon...

so not much feedback yet... first impression is how sensitive the joystick response is... then again, neither me nor my partner had ever operated a machine with a joystick ever.

I've only owned a Bobcat, a Navigator forklift, and a Donkey forklift... so that's my knowledge/skill base... the Terex is much different than the 3 of them... so obvious "getting used to curve".

I'd definately describe it as a compact, and feels every bit of its 10,000 pounds. Rides lots better than my other forklifts.

I'll take some pics and post some a few more comments soon.

Thanks for asking.

Stevenbrla

Couple pics of my (new to me) machine... '05 Terex TX5519... about 1000 hours. Haven't used it enough to give much of a review, and really don't have much to compare it with... but here it is... (if I can figure out the pic poster function):

Attachments

• DSCF0457 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF0457 (640x480).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,973
  • DSCF0458 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF0458 (640x480).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,893

AKRentalMan

We use the Genie version (GTH-5519) in our rental fleet and they are great machines. Is yours Deutz powered?
Watch the latch on the engine cover close and make sure you have the safety pin in it otherwise they can pop open while roading. ;)

Stevenbrla

Thanks AKman,

We've really been enjoying this machine....we almost race each other to load grass pallets for customers.

Bought a new battery, and one of the forks is slightly bent down...which is annoying..looking for a fix there...need to survey local rentals for a lil help maybe.

It will seldom see the road, but thanks for the heads up on the hood latch...I can see how it could easily be left open, and I bet those hoods aren't cheap.

Yesterday when my lil Donkey forklift was stuck yesterday at a site I was wishing I had the Terex there instead...might have to buy/borrow trailer. Do they mud pretty good?

Ours has a Deutz. Is that a good thing?

Steve

AKRentalMan

Ours do pretty well in muddy conditions, axles hang pretty low though.
IMHO the Deutz is a very good engine. Getting parts should be a cinch in LA. since their main US depot is in Norcross GA. :thumbsup

Straightening bent fork tines is not allowed at my work because once the steel has been stressed via bending it will never be the same metallurgically. You might be surprised how reasonably priced a new one is.

bobb

Occupation
Mechanic
i have worked on a few of these. there are a few different schematics on the early versions. genie bought terex so now they are genies. made in italy if i remember right. change your differential fluid religiously cause they are not repairable...so i have heard. axle attatching bolts need regular inspection. rear axle may shift and shear the alignment tubes in the pillow blocks. ive welded stops to confine the pillow block movement. rear axle movement may damage steering hoses. poor assembly may damage boom hoses where they move alot at the base of the boom. steering knuckles may be hard to grease. changing to 45 degree fittings helps. rough riding may jar a relay loose causing any kind of problem.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Terex TH6622

I have one of these it a little bit bigger than the 5519. This on is 6600lb cap w/ 22' reach. its an 05 1300hrs if anyone is inerested call me 321-228-6684

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Yours look alot like the one I had. Just remember to try not to boom with a load all the way out. Ours got bent, But then again the Terex guy said they had never seen that happen before.

jonbow

Terex TX55-19

I have owned a Terex TX55-19 for (2) years. Bought it used, 1150 hrs.
It is an indespensible machine. We use it every day. I also own 35-40 SkyTraks for our rental fleet. Google "used SkyTrak parts", Aero Lift, if you are interested. Try to get a "quick-tatch" bucket for it. Then you can rehandle dirt, stone or snow.
If you get it "right" you will not regret it.
Jim

I just bought a Used Terex TX55-19, I cant figure out how to unfasten the attachment, previous owner says he doesn't remember taking the forks off. It's hydraulically operated somehow but i cant get it to pull the pins back.:( Any help Would be appreciated!

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Never had a genie but had other equipment with this set up. I’ve had to hold the button that releases the pin while rocking the tilt back and forth to make it come loose