• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex TS14G autoshift option?

Questionable wizard

Another TS14G owner in NZ tipped me off about an autoshift option on these machines(ability to operate like an automatic transmission for travel rather than hand shifting). Anybody have any information from Terex about this? I see the plug is located on the cab harness for a switch in the parts breakdown. I need to find it on the machine. Short of temporarily wiring in a switch to try and see if it works, I could call Funk tech support with our serial number to see if the TCU was programmed with it. I'd like to hear from Gary Hoff or anyone else who had close Terex contact.

Questionable wizard

Sorry for the delay responding.

Auto Shift was an option from Terex On the TS14Gs. All the machines had most of the wiring for it. If you look near the front engine starter at the harnesses tied to the frame rail there is an unused two conductor Weatherpac connector. The machines with this option have a switch in the row of rocker switches that has a gear icon. The Weatherpac connector tied to the switch in the cab. The TCU must have this option enabled for auto shift to work.

At this time, the only way to add it to a machine, is to purchase new TCUs from John Deere with the option, or salvage TCUs with the option. I'm not overly impressed with the shift points to automatically change gears. They kind of have the upshift and downshift RPMs tied to the torque converter lock in/ unlock speeds of 2200 and 1900rpm. They are keeping the engine wound tight and the torque load off the transmission. I realize they used truck engines that are not built as heavy as construction engines, and the DF150 transmissions are at their maximum power rating.

I purchased a late 2006 TS14G with the option I'm in the process of refurbishing for use. I haven't been able to try it yet. I've looked into the tools to copy the software from the TCU and re-flash to other TCUs, but have too many projects going on right now. We have a 2003 I'd like to add the option. John Deere has too many high paid lawyers and claims ownership of the software even after a customer purchases the machine, so copying and re-flashing is against the law by their rules. The last I priced a TCU a couple years ago, it was $1300USD. With the Covid price increases, now likely higher.

It is possible to add this option to a machine. A heavily used machine where you can reduce the expense across many operating hours, it would pencil out. At our operation, we have a number of operators that only understand wide open throttle, change their speed with the shifter. This would help.

The switch is 15258797. The switch lens is 15307416. The harness to the switch is 15304768.
Autoshift connection (Medium).jpg Auto trans switch.JPG DF158 front trans software.PNG Funk Autoshift .JPG

Last edited:

Questionable wizard

Running our non auto shift TS14G, John Deere should have sent some of their software development techs out when machines were running to fine tune the torque converter lock/unlock speeds. Clearly there was fine tuning needed. Both Terex and Deere dropped the ball. Gears 3 and higher are for traveling. Keep the TCs locked as much as possible to keep the heat generation down. Heat cooks the orings and causes leaks which results in short transmission life.

greeniron

Questionable wizard , i sent a message too you about giving you a call to pick your brains about these transmissions , we have a ts14D11 that has had 4 trans rebuilds and one total distruction which was replaced with a new G transmission which we bought thru terex , the machine only has 13000 hrs on it and we bought it new back in 1999 , so if you are willing for me to ring you and pick your brains it would be appreciated or call me on +61428987116 regards Bob

Questionable wizard

No problem. I use Whatsapp to visit with friends in NZ. My number one93seven5sevenzero2six2nine. I read your PM. The only way to get all the coolant out of the clutch packs and torque converter is to disassemble. Caterpillar has a cleaning procedure where they use Butyl Cellucide? to clean antifreeze from engine crankcases. I've seen it done on a 1970 Mack with a 237 that popped a head gasket. When done, the inside of the crankcase was spotless. I'm not sure you would be able to get all the Butyl out of the clutch packs without disassembly. I'll try you Tues, AM. You should also give Lance a ring at Pro Diesel LTD in Queenstown, NZ. 64 274 945 threezerofour. He's on Holiday today, Monday. He has much more experience. I selected heavier bearings I install.
It's 21:36pm local time. I'm on US Eastern local time.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Caterpillar has a cleaning procedure where they use Butyl Cellucide? to clean antifreeze from engine crankcases
It’s a product called butyl cellosolve IIRC. I’ve never heard of it being used in anything except engines to clean out the residual glycol from a cooler failure. I probably have the instruction for the process somewhere if you want a copy.