1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Terex TS14D transmission trouble

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by Darin Neb, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Darin Neb

Darin Neb New Member

Good day all. New to the forum and first time posting. Just purchased a 1999 TS14D 2 and I am having an issue with the rear transmission. With the machine in gear and both engines running I can press on the rear engine accelerator and the machine will not move. I cant see anything unplugged around the transmission or by the shifter. This machine has the series 40 Detroit engines (DT466 so I've been told) and the Funk DF 158 powershift transmission. All fluids are up and the machine has less than 6000 hours on it. Also was wondering what transmission fluid you fellas would recommend for this machine? Any and all help is apricated.

Big D

2. traxcavator

traxcavator Active Member

Here is the recommended lubricants chart out of the service manual.

Are you getting any transmission fault codes on the gear range indicator? These are good machines if well maintained but the wiring for the transmissions had some short comings and could be challenging to trouble shoot.

The transmission control units for both transmissions are mounted behind the access door just below the cab. It's been a long time since I've been around these machines, but if memory serves me right, you can swap the wiring harnesses around to see if the front quits and rear starts working to determine if your issue is in the TCU. If it's a wiring issue you would most likely be getting a fault code.

The engines are rebadged International DT466.

upload_2021-10-10_16-47-48.png

3. Questionable wizard

Questionable wizard Well-Known Member

Does the transmission move in any gear? Different combinations of solenoids pressurize the clutch packs. How is your oil level when running? Put your ear to the transmission dipstick tube (it's tough on the rear one because of the distance between the tube and fuel platform). Do you hear an even oil sound, or uneven gurgling. How much noise from you pump (loud/quiet, cavitating)? My manuals are at work. I'll do some digging tomorrow to tell you what solenoids are energized for the different gears. I have all the manuals, and even the software to connect a laptop to them. You will be able to check magnetism at each with a screw driver if they are working. Also will be able to check voltage at each solenoid plug. Is your oil dark (clutch material). You also need to check your transmission pump pressure. After checking all the above, and still no progress, drain your oil. There is a suction screen behind a plug at the base of the suction tube supplying the pump. Check it for clutch material. Tear off a piece of paper shop towel and hold in a small parts grabber. Swab around on the bottom of the oil sump once the oil is drained. See what goodies come out on the rag. I was very disappointed with the transmission shop that rebuilt the last two for us (one failed 400 hours later after a $16K rebuild). I rebuild my own now.

traxcavator and DB2 like this.
  4. Questionable wizard

Questionable wizard Well-Known Member

Here is some material from mother Deere. Check your pump pressure at the port marked "L" in the picture. Your transmission won't have all the clutches shown as it only has six speeds forward, one reverse. CTM84 will be your bible with these transmissions. There are some differences in what the manual shows, and your application. A quick hint if you get one of these opened up, they burn out clutch packs from low pump pressure or internal leaks, They run horribly hot and cook the o rings (which cause the internal leaks), and the ball bearings like to blow their ball cages apart, balls migrate to one side- then your gears run on the tips of the teeth, breaking them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    DB2 likes this.
  5. greeniron

greeniron Well-Known Member

no oil pressure from bad oil pump seals , easy fix , remove pump and replace seals but make sure they go in the right way , well that was one of my problems i had