• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex TS14D transmission trouble

Darin Neb

Good day all. New to the forum and first time posting. Just purchased a 1999 TS14D 2 and I am having an issue with the rear transmission. With the machine in gear and both engines running I can press on the rear engine accelerator and the machine will not move. I cant see anything unplugged around the transmission or by the shifter. This machine has the series 40 Detroit engines (DT466 so I've been told) and the Funk DF 158 powershift transmission. All fluids are up and the machine has less than 6000 hours on it. Also was wondering what transmission fluid you fellas would recommend for this machine? Any and all help is apricated.

Big D

traxcavator

Here is the recommended lubricants chart out of the service manual.

Are you getting any transmission fault codes on the gear range indicator? These are good machines if well maintained but the wiring for the transmissions had some short comings and could be challenging to trouble shoot.

The transmission control units for both transmissions are mounted behind the access door just below the cab. It's been a long time since I've been around these machines, but if memory serves me right, you can swap the wiring harnesses around to see if the front quits and rear starts working to determine if your issue is in the TCU. If it's a wiring issue you would most likely be getting a fault code.

The engines are rebadged International DT466.

upload_2021-10-10_16-47-48.png

Questionable wizard

Does the transmission move in any gear? Different combinations of solenoids pressurize the clutch packs. How is your oil level when running? Put your ear to the transmission dipstick tube (it's tough on the rear one because of the distance between the tube and fuel platform). Do you hear an even oil sound, or uneven gurgling. How much noise from you pump (loud/quiet, cavitating)? My manuals are at work. I'll do some digging tomorrow to tell you what solenoids are energized for the different gears. I have all the manuals, and even the software to connect a laptop to them. You will be able to check magnetism at each with a screw driver if they are working. Also will be able to check voltage at each solenoid plug. Is your oil dark (clutch material). You also need to check your transmission pump pressure. After checking all the above, and still no progress, drain your oil. There is a suction screen behind a plug at the base of the suction tube supplying the pump. Check it for clutch material. Tear off a piece of paper shop towel and hold in a small parts grabber. Swab around on the bottom of the oil sump once the oil is drained. See what goodies come out on the rag. I was very disappointed with the transmission shop that rebuilt the last two for us (one failed 400 hours later after a $16K rebuild). I rebuild my own now.

Questionable wizard

Here is some material from mother Deere. Check your pump pressure at the port marked "L" in the picture. Your transmission won't have all the clutches shown as it only has six speeds forward, one reverse. CTM84 will be your bible with these transmissions. There are some differences in what the manual shows, and your application. A quick hint if you get one of these opened up, they burn out clutch packs from low pump pressure or internal leaks, They run horribly hot and cook the o rings (which cause the internal leaks), and the ball bearings like to blow their ball cages apart, balls migrate to one side- then your gears run on the tips of the teeth, breaking them.

Attachments

• Funk transmission valve body layout.pdf
    356 KB · Views: 12
  • Funk transmission clutches used in each gear.pdf
    205.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: DB2

greeniron

no oil pressure from bad oil pump seals , easy fix , remove pump and replace seals but make sure they go in the right way , well that was one of my problems i had

Darin Neb

Thank you guys for all the good info. Turns out the oil level in the back transmission has to be a gallon over the full mark on the dipstick for it to work. Everything is working now and Oil looks clean. The only other issue I'm having is the front transmission almost feels like it's slipping. It jerks almost like the diff lock is engaging and disengaging. I can't tell if that is it or if it is down shifting. Any idea what this could be? Is there an automatic diff lock in these machines? Thank you guys!

Darin Neb

Also Questionable wizard, how difficult is it to rebuild these transmissions and how readily available are the parts? Any manuals on rebuild?
Thank you

Questionable wizard

The jerking is your lock up on the torque converter locking up and releasing. The internal slippage through the torque converter must be below a certain percentage and the TCU will lock up the torque converter for cooler operation. I'm not sure why engineering didn't install a metering check valve in the lock up circuit to slow the rush of oil slightly so the clutch didn't bang so hard. The product improvement program for these transmissions stopped many years ago.

CTM84 or the newer version is your manual. I'll have to look tomorrow for the parts manual number. Unfortunately Deere lumped all their DF150, and DF250 transmissions in the same parts book. I requested the Bill of Materials for my transmissions in a DTAC case at Superior Diesel to get all the part numbers that built mine.

Most parts are available from a John Deere ag dealer. You will have to use a John Deere Forestry dealer for the gaskets, torque converter lock up plates, and a few bearings(Ag dealers aren't allowed to sell these). They are not bad to rebuild, but I have an eye for details and experience with other powershift transmissions. Careful, if you need TC lock up plates. The originals are NLA. There is a way around this and will save you $1500. If you get into yours, I can give you a list of heavier bearings and a supplier I use from California. I use straight roller and spherical roller bearing in most positions. Mostly SKF bearings. I run Schaeffers 204SAT All Trans Supreme oil in the transmissions. This oil is pricey, but handles the high heat very well. It's too time consuming to open up a transmission prematurely due to an oil caused failure. Keep your radiators clean!

Transmissions can be calibrated for better clutch pack engagement. They will never be as smooth a a Cat transmission. Friend of mine calls them funk-sional.

You said you had to run a gallon overfull to make it work. Are you checking your level with the engines running, bowl up for the front trans, bowl down for the rear? I only run mine at the add mark, as the oil expands so much when it gets hot.

Check the play in your torsion dampers at the rear of each engine. With the engine off, turn your transmission input drive shaft back and forth. If you have more than 3/8" travel, your damper is wore out. If you let it continue, eventually you will break your drive shaft. I have access to new dampers from the same manufacturer that supplies Terex. Less money.

Check and change your hydraulic pump drive oil frequently. The housings are no longer available. Salvage only.

Install a brass plug in the bottom opening of your engine bell housings with a tiny hole in the center to let any oil out. Run a wire up in the hole once in awhile if they show damp to clean them out. This will prevent any dirt from getting drawn in and packing in your starter drive.

Circle-13

Hi,
I am trying to assist one of my friends who is not on the internet. He has a Terex TS14D. The Printed Circuit board has several burned components. He sent me photos of the circuit boards (I am an electronic technician), and a few of the components are fried and several of the traces are blown off the board. He didn't have a schematic and didn't know where to find a new board. I could possibly repair the board for him if I can determine what components are fried as long as they are able to be soldered on. It looks like the board may have been wave soldered - if so, I am not able to repair the board.

His question:
What should I look for when the TCM has a couple of burned components on the circuit board? Is it possible that the TCM gets fatigued out after a year?
I have tried switching the outputs and that makes the one not working to work. And nothing has burned up with the switch. So I'm thinking the wiring/rest of the system is working good.
It worked great last fall when I parked it. Turned off master switch so couldn't drain batteries. Started up in May and rear transmission wouldn't work.
Otherwise it's always been a little wire for sending signal that rear engine is running . Now there wasn't any codes.

Any assistance for this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Questionable wizard

If he has several burned components on the boards, there was a voltage surge to cause the damage. Was the machine parked outside where it could have taken a lighting strike? There is transient protection module to protect the TCU from voltage spikes. The TVP module is John Deere part YZ102080. Repairing a TCU is questionable at best.

New TCUs pre-pandemic were $1300USD. I'm sure prices have gone up. I have a source for new TCUs if you need one. These are new overstock. Attached is a connector schematic for the TCUs. 937-fiveseven0-two6twonine
Funk Transmision TCU connector schematic.JPG