• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex that might need a little work

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Both of these machines are pre-joystick versions. Just a handful of levers. Seems like it ought to be simple to figure out, but this isn't familiar territory for me and I won't take any responsibility for work done with them. I do see the mechanisms used to disengage the lever to prevent movement in a particular direction, and it has a few wires on it, I assume to signal engage/disengage. I ended up manipulating the rod leaving that device to raise the cable and once I had it up, control seemed to be restored to the other functions. I'm puzzled on the behavior.

What I don't quite get is why, with the boom up and out, I could only lower the cable. The block was almost in my lap and I didn't want to drag it across the fenders by swinging around, but I could not get the winch to spool up, or the boom down enough to get the block away from the machine.

crane operator

Levers should just control push pull cables that run to the valve stack. Any wires on the lever themselves, are probably just the wiring for the horn on the swing lever, and the winch rotation indicators on the winch lever.

LMI not set properly and/ or a2b switch, will kick out the functions for boom down, winch up, and tele out. I think on those- the kick out occurs on the valve stack via solenoids. But its been a long time since I've been around one.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Wish I had taken a couple of pics. The lever does run by cable to one of the switched devices. There are too many wires for it to be just a horn. Maybe 8 wires. I was tired late Friday. The cable actually moved this device and it seemed maybe that when the lmi allowed it, moved a rod protruding from it to another cable, likely to the valve bank. It was as though it disengaged internally and the entire (switched?) device moved, but the exiting rod/cable would not. It seemed to connect/disconnect internally. I assumed that was the safety system at work. I just grabbed the output rod where it attached back to the cable and operated the valve. Several assumptions here, obviously.

Guess I'll be trying to get some docs on the control and the machine itself.

crane operator

So the way some of them work- all the levers rest at the bottom of the dash until the lmi / function enables, then they kind of "spring" up. I think thats a electric solenoid- that just engages on the push pull cables. No power and they fall free (no function)- powered up they magnetize and hold the lever engaged (functions work).

Knepptune

The solenoids on the cables going to the valve banks are the lmi kick outs. If you put power to them they should allow you to run you lmi kickout functions. The winch valve pack on the t230/rt230 is right between the two winches behind the boom. Both those should have kickout solenoids. The boom tele/boom up valve pack is kinda a pain to get to under the boom.

Have someone sit in the cab and cable up on the winch while you watch the linkage going into the solenoid. For some reason I’m thinking you can put a vice grip on them to bypass it. It’s been awhile but I’ve been there, and I know I was able to bypass the kickout on the function I needed.

If memory serves me correctly I feel like there’s another kickout solenoid under the dash that the wires can get kicked loose from. I may have my crane models mixed up but for some reason I think Ive had trouble with that solenoid.

All the information is one the rt230. I don’t know anything about the cd225 off the top of my head.

As for Greer computers. Call crane warning systems in Florida. They have/can get any part you need for a Greer and have guys that are absolute legends on Greer computers.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Thanks for that information, Knepptune. I'm thinking I have some issues with the Greer box so I'll contact those folks.

You are correct in thinking that there is a mag connect/disconnect in the cab on the right side, just about where you would put boots. In fact, that is the one I had to manually manually manipulate to get the thing off high center and moving again. Had I understood it at the time, I could have simply jumped 12V to it rather than wrestle it, but I was unaware of it's operation.

I expect to return to the cranes project next week. Always hoping!

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Knepptune, just wanted to thank you for that contact in Florida. Spent about an hour on the phone this morning and learned a lot about the controls and instrumentation I have. Feel better about letting someone use the machine now. Calibration still seems correct and I cannot find any bad switches anywhere. All seems to work. There were some incorrect selections on the Greer box. Fellow named Gene, who was with Greer, helped me.