• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex TA30 ZF 6WG 310 Transmission leaks

Philip S King

Occupation
GC, BC, Mechanical , Electrical, Utilities
I am chasing leaks on ZF 6WG Transmission.
It looks as though the Gear Shift Housing (#1573838)(mounted to the upper right side of the torque converter case) is leaking.
I suspect Cover #5 maybe leaking at gasket #6
Any ideas why this assembly would start leaking?
Anyone have suggestions or experience working with this valve assembly?

upload_2021-6-9_8-9-17.png

Bigbert

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Hi Philip,

the term "gear shift housing" is bullsh...
This is the retarder valve which keeps converter-cooler circuit (non retarder mode) active, will fill retarder when applied and putting pressure to retarder (in retarder mode). Has absolutely nothing to do with any gearshifts.

The gaskets are minor design, so a repair with regular high temp gasket material will do. There is some minor spring force on cover.
Basically there is no reason for leakage there as there is no pressure apart from spring force.
I'd rather expect gaskets 12 and 13 having an issue or the fittings from converter, to cooler, from cooler, to retarder, from retarder, to lubrication. All pressures below 6 bar.
Also gaskets 12 and 13 are simple design, might be cut out of regular stuff, too. Temps up to 130 degrees C there.