• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex 4010 tilt ram compensating the wrong way

Kiwi-truckwit

G'day guys, we have on our site a terex 4010 that has been around the block a few times, and somebody has obviously been playing with the hoses as the tilt cylinder is compensating the wrong way when the boom is raised/lowered (When boom is raised, forks tilt up and vice versa)
To my amateur eye, it seems like it should be a simple matter of switching hoses at the input cylinder at the boom heel, but to save me some trial and error, can anybody shed some light on whether I should swap the hoses at the control valve side of this cylinder, or at the implement end?

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Any valves ,controls or hoses changed recently?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I would think that reversing the lines at the cylinder or control valve would change the direction you would move the control lever for the tilt, no?

Does it have a compensating cylinder near the back of the boom? I would check and see if the lines there got switched around. In my mind, that would make it compensate the wrong way.

Kiwi-truckwit

I would think that reversing the lines at the cylinder or control valve would change the direction you would move the control lever for the tilt, no?

Does it have a compensating cylinder near the back of the boom? I would check and see if the lines there got switched around. In my mind, that would make it compensate the wrong way.
Yes, it does have the levelling cylinder. Thinking about it some more, the lines must be crossed between that cylinder and the tilt cylinder. As the boom raises, the levelling cylinder extends, which would "borrow" fluid from the tilt cylinder causing it to retract. As the boom lowers, this cylinder then retracts again, displacing the fluid back into the tilt cylinder.
If they're the wrong way around, then raising and lowering the boom has the opposite effect (which is the issue currently), so if I swap those hoses, we should be all good.
Does that sound logical, or am I heading down the wrong path entirely?

Vetech63

Think of the cylinder at the back of the boom as the master cylinder, and the point cylinder as the slave. The hoses are more than likely crossed on one of them.

Kiwi-truckwit

Well, "next week" finally came today, and it was just as simple as swapping a couple of hoses over. Now everything is doing what it should, and I'm a happy camper.