• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Td8e repower

Mioutlaw24

Hi I have a td8e with the IH dt239 that threw a rod through the block looking at doing a 4bt Cummins swap but don't know what I'll need to hook the Cummins to my trans and torque converter housing please help

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know about the interface of torque converter to engine. Will this come from a donor machine? I have a TD7G with the engine. Mounted to the upper corners of the torque converter are two hydraulic pumps. One runs the transmission, I presume the other is the blade. Whether the pumps drive from the torque converter, I don't know. It's a great engine, I have two, one in a backhoe.

Mioutlaw24

Bassicly where I can get one I'm just wondering if there's an adapter I need or not I got the dozer for less then scrap value so I wanna repower it cuz its in good shape

Andrew_D

A quick check shows the TD8e at 75hp, 2300rpm.

A search on the 4BT Cummins, shows anywhere from 55-155 hp, 2300rpm, depending on setup. I'd be careful that the donor engine isn't in the 155hp range, or the driveline may not take it.

Andrew

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A quick check shows the TD8e at 75hp, 2300rpm.

A search on the 4BT Cummins, shows anywhere from 55-155 hp, 2300rpm, depending on setup. I'd be careful that the donor engine isn't in the 155hp range, or the driveline may not take it.

Andrew

Mine in a Case 580K & in a Dresser TD7G are both rated at 70 HP naturally aspirated. A company known as Legacy Power Wagons refurbishes the old style Dodge Power Wagons with this engine, They claim 70 HP with turbo. I have no understanding if these engines are changed for more HP, or just turbo, valves, compression, rpm, or turning up the injector pump.

The IH engine original to your tractor was a fine engine. Is it not available?

Willie

Mioutlaw24

I can not find a block my block is shot due to the rod coming through it i have found a block for 600 a new crank for 800 still have to rebuild it

Iron@Dirt

The d 239 was a good engine but the cummins engine will have easier parts availability. I like the cummins in our d39 and I would go with that one.

Mioutlaw24

Farmall tractors in mi are a dime a dozzen and the old ih motors are going for 3500 and up needing rebuilt in mi but i got a 4b on its way for 900 needing rebuilt see the price diffrence id rather but an ih engine in it but i need the dozzer back asap not hunting engine parts for a yr