• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TBC or Carlson

eaglebridge

Looking for advice on which route to go on modeling software from anyone with experience using TBC data prep or Carlson. I began using GPS for layout about 2 years ago doing mostly linework. My company focuses primarily on bridge construction but self performs all roadway work that is typically included with our contracts. This work can be anywhere from 100 ft each side of a bridge or a mile or two of highway and side roads. This past year we purchased a D6 and installed Trimble GCS 900 and are looking to add a second GPS Dozer very soon. I am currently using Trimble Business Center free version to build our machine control files for any small projects and have hired another party for larger ones. I would like to be able to do all our data prep in house. We are working as a subcontractor on a project for a large earthwork and paving contractor who is using Carlson for all their modeling and swears by it. I have a pretty good working knowledge of AutoCAD which seems to fit well with Carlson products.

Can anyone give me advice on whether I should continue with TBC and purchase the data prep module or should I purchase a carlson product (if so which package). Also open to any other suggestions for software.

MCguy

Carlson takeoff has proven to be very useful, however I've sat in on some TBC user groups and it's impressive. It really depends on on weather your auto cad skill level. Me personally I love my takeoff r4! I build every model, and quantity takeoffs. Once I get into TBC more for the modeling I may sway that way, but for now ill use TBC to just make the conversion out to GCS900 machine files

eaglebridge

Thanks for the response. I ended up getting Carlson Construction. I just took a three day training course this past week. I haven't had time to do any modeling for any of my projects but the samples we did in training lead me to believe that it is a great product.