• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TB180FR slewing arm(s) removal

heymccall

I have no idea how I get these special ones. They brought back a TB180FR with so much play in the slewing arms that the side shift roller switches would loose contact, disabling full boom back.

Close inspection revealed a lost retainer on the hyd tank side slewing arm. What an SOB to get to.
Arm removal
Boom removal
Swing tower removal
Pin under cab removal
And, not removed yet...pin under control valve return.

Anyone ever had these arms out. Any tips once the pins are out? Took 3 hours to finally remove cab side arm with cylinder still attached.

20180905_191932.jpg 20180906_154625.jpg

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I had this done to my TB153FR last Winter. It wasn't as bad as it sounds like this machine was but it was getting sloppy. These are great machines, but you need to keep them well greased.

heymccall

9k hours, and the pin retainer broke away. Pretty sure the lack of grease wasn't a factor. Pounding and beating with it was. Got a horizontal crack in the swing tower a foot long, and a crack behind the cab side slew arm boss.
More pics to follow.

As to the original question, is there an easy way to get the arms out of the chassis? The pin boss is taller than the opening. Finally got the arm w/ cylinder rotated out. Couldn't figure out how to remove the cylinder pin, or it would've been removed separately.

hosspuller

As to the original question, is there an easy way to get the arms out of the chassis? The pin boss is taller than the opening.

Look for an access spot. Or use a hole saw to make one. Had a machine with worn guide pins. The pins were 3 inch diameter x 60 inches. We bored a hole in the top of the frame and lifted them out. Machine manufacturer copied our idea and made subsequent frames with the access holes.